none
DHCP problem with Windows 10 version 1803 RRS feed

Answers

• In general, to avoid IP allocation conflict, you have to make sure that there is only one server responding to clients' DHCP request broadcasts on a given subnet (except standby/failover server pairs that synchronize ip allocation info). When multiple DHCP servers are active on the same subnet, all these dhcp servers will receive address request respond to the client. The client will simply accept whatever response that comes in first.  

It may well be that some change in 1803 affects the way client processes responses from multiple dhcp servers. In any case, I'd suggest that you configure your Sonicwall appliance to relay DHCP requests received through the VPN interface to the Win2012 dhcp server, so that all IP allocation is managed by one server.  This will eliminate potential IP allocation conflicts as well as simplify administration of IP addresses on your network.

Gleb.

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:07 AM

All replies

• In general, to avoid IP allocation conflict, you have to make sure that there is only one server responding to clients' DHCP request broadcasts on a given subnet (except standby/failover server pairs that synchronize ip allocation info). When multiple DHCP servers are active on the same subnet, all these dhcp servers will receive address request respond to the client. The client will simply accept whatever response that comes in first.  

It may well be that some change in 1803 affects the way client processes responses from multiple dhcp servers. In any case, I'd suggest that you configure your Sonicwall appliance to relay DHCP requests received through the VPN interface to the Win2012 dhcp server, so that all IP allocation is managed by one server.  This will eliminate potential IP allocation conflicts as well as simplify administration of IP addresses on your network.

Gleb.

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:07 AM
  • That did it, thanks.  I didn't know that the Sonicwall could relay DHCP requests to the main server.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:02 PM