Saved spool documents RRS feed

• Question

• I don't see a Win7 Print/Spool subforum, so since this is about the user interface to Spool, I'll try this forum about user interface.

I have been using the Spool capability to save jobs after printing them to be a convenient way to reprint documents which are frequently requested.  It would be much more convenient if I could alter the Document Name to give it a name more meaningful than the complete path name to the document (which for many documents is dominated by its location, with the actual file name way at the end).  It seems that different applications also set the Document Name in different ways, so there is no uniformity to the appearance or content of the Documnt Name.

Once documents have been spooled and saved, however, the ability to rename the Document Name would be extremely handy, not only in allowing a useful organization of spooled documents, but also in distinguishing those for which the decision has been made not to delete them, because they may be requested again, from those that should just be transient (but must be manually deleted, because the choice of saving or not is a global choice, and it seems unlikely for there to be any better solution possible for that).

While there appears to be no option within the Spool interface to rename the documents, perhaps I have overlooked it?  Or if there is a way to do such via an API, I'd be happy to be pointed at the API, so I could write a program to perform the renamings.  However, I failed to find such an API either.  Finally, if there is a metadata file that could be manipulated to change the name, I could write a program to do that, but I could not find the Document Name string inside either the .SPL or .SPD files.  Actually, I find the Document Name string 3 times inside the .SPL file, but changing them isn't reflected in the Spool interface window.

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:50 AM

Answers

• Windows 7 does not have a Spool interface by default. The interface should be provided by your printer manufacturer and installed with the printer driver. What is the model of the printer? You may need to download and install the latest Windows 7 compatible driver and software for ther printer. Additionally, if you have any feedbacks regarding it, please contact the manfuacturer support.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 8, 2011 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:39 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 does not have a Spool interface by default. The interface should be provided by your printer manufacturer and installed with the printer driver. What is the model of the printer? You may need to download and install the latest Windows 7 compatible driver and software for ther printer. Additionally, if you have any feedbacks regarding it, please contact the manfuacturer support.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 8, 2011 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Interesting!  Since it seems every printer I've ever used on 2000 or XP or 7 has a very very similar Spool interface, I concluded that it was part of Windows!  But then again, most of the printers were from HP... perhaps all of the ones for which I really used the Spool interface much.

The current printer of interest is an HP LaserJet 3015dn.

Since Windows doesn't have a Spool interface, and the HP Spool interface doesn't seem to allow renaming of Document Name, I cast about for other alternatives...

1) Windows does have a print job API... is there any way to hook it and tweak the parameters between the time the program calls the API and the print job gets to the printer driver (and spooled)?  Because some programs provide a full path to the source document as the document name, and others provide just the document name, and others provide something generic to the application like "<application name> document" ... so it seems the value of the document name on the interface is pretty much irrelevant to the functioning of the printer or spooler other than using it in the spooler report.

2) More cumbersome, for most of the documents I wish to regularly reprint, I could make copies of them in a path with a short name, and print them with an application that supplies the full path to the document, and sort of achieve the goal of a useful document name in the spool view in that manner.

I'll contact HP to see if they have a straightforward solution.  Sad that what seems like it should be a simple operation is so complex to figure out.

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:04 PM