Best practice for moving local user account files and settings to domain account RRS feed

• Question

• I have read about (and attempted to use) both file and settings transfer and usmt unsuccessfully in the past when trying to migrate everything from a local user account to a domain account after a pc has been joined to a domain. Is there a simple way to transfer everything from a users local computer account to his domain account on that same computer?

Example: bob has a local user account on his xp pro desktop. The computer is joined to a domain and he logs in using his domain account (which is not a roaming profile). I would like to move everything from his local "bob" account to his domain account so that everything looks/works the same when he uses his domain account (then I can delete the local account).

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• you can move the individual folders in the user profile, but there won't be a seamless transition.
    The ntuser.dat, has a different SID. so perhaps some of the data will work some will not.

good luck.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:56 PM