Always start Windows Explorer full screen RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to get Windows Explorer to start in full screen mode? If I go into full screen mode and close the window, it does not remember to start again in full screen next time. On a tablet with limited screen real estate, always using full screen is convenient, but calling up the keyboard to press F11 when you open a window is not.

Two important notes: (1) I am referring to Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. (2) I am referring to Full Screen (F11), not Maximized.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:14 PM

Answers

• I thought of a way to do this. I created a VBScript that opens an Explorer window and sends an F11 to it:

Set objShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    objShell.Run "%WINDIR%\explorer.exe"
    Wscript.Sleep 500
    objShell.AppActivate "Libraries"
    objShell.SendKeys "{F11}"

Naturally, this won't work if there is already an Explorer window open to Libraries. To use it, I just launch the script instead of explorer.exe. Good enough for me.

• Marked as answer by David Trimboli Monday, December 17, 2012 2:32 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see if the Fixit helps:

Changes to the size, view, icon or position of a folder are lost

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:32 AM
  • I gave it a shot, but there was no change. I don't think this is a case of something wrong with Windows Explorer; I think this is the way it normally behaves, and I want to find a way to change that behavior.

I'd also be satisfied with a command line that opens Windows Explorer in full-screen mode.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:17 AM
  • I thought of a way to do this. I created a VBScript that opens an Explorer window and sends an F11 to it:

Set objShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    objShell.Run "%WINDIR%\explorer.exe"
    Wscript.Sleep 500
    objShell.AppActivate "Libraries"
    objShell.SendKeys "{F11}"

Naturally, this won't work if there is already an Explorer window open to Libraries. To use it, I just launch the script instead of explorer.exe. Good enough for me.

• Marked as answer by David Trimboli Monday, December 17, 2012 2:32 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 2:32 PM