none
DPM 2016 - Backup guest SQL cluster with VHD Set - is it supported? RRS feed

• Question

• Okay so I have a standalone Hyper-V host, on this I've built a two node guest cluster with Server 2016 and configured a SQL 2016 cluster.

I have created VHD Sets to provide shared storage between the two nodes.

All is working well but now I have come to backup using DPM 2016. It was my understanding that VHD Sets could be backed up through the host (unlike the older shared VHDX format) however I've failed at the first hurdle as DPM cannot even create the initial replica.

So my question is does DPM 2016 support the protection of VHD Sets? Documentation on this seems limited to say the least.

• Edited by CPeaky555 Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi CPeaky,

As far as I know this scenario is not currently supported or at least not working as intended.

I've been following this thread for some time:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d6cddde-3ff3-4a50-a627-6ad7bf7667fd/cannot-create-checkpoint-when-shared-vhdset-vhds-is-used-by-vm-not-part-of-a-checkpoint?forum=winserverClustering

Which is a somewhat similar issue, the problems seem to be rooted in taking snapshots/merging of VHD sets.

Admittedly this has been a problem mostly for Hyper-V failover clusters. You may have a better experience using only a single host.

My environment is similar to yours, I have a four node Hyper-V failover cluster all running Server 2016. Hosted within that I have a virtual guest two node SQL 2016 failover cluster, also running server 2016. My backup server is a VM on a separate stand alone Hyper-V host (Server 2016)

The backup server is DPM 2016 running on Windows Server 2016 using MBS.

The last time I took a crack at this in August 2017, I got nowhere. My work around has been to use DPM 2016 to take SQL backups, and to perform in-guest BMR/System State backups of each of the SQL nodes (C:\ drive only)

Being a new year I'm about to do some further investigation now that the Jan 2018 CUs have been applied. I'll report back here if I have any success.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:44 AM