mapped drive duplicating in windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Windows 8.1 a little while ago and have run Windows Update recently.  For the most part, things seem to be working fine. 
    One issue that I have noticed is that one of my mapped drives keeps duplicating.  This seems to happen after every restart, or shutdown.
    I have Hyper-V set up and I mapped drive T:\ to a folder on that drive.  It has been working fine for a year.
    After getting the latest update for Windows 8.1, when I go into File Explorer, I will see that drive listed as all other available drive letters as well as drive T:\.
    I can disconnect them, but it is a pain to have to do that over and over - I cannot map other drive letters to other folders if they are in use.  I need to do that periodically for testing client issues.
    I have searched the forums and did not find any open threads for this.

It is a standalone workstation that is networked with other computers but it is not on a domain.  This is the only other computer I use all the time that has Windows 8.1 installed.

Please help.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:20 PM

Answers

• It seems that the issue has resolved itself with the latest updates on Windows 8.1.  That tells me it was an issue with the OS and not my computer.  Hopefully, they won't revert the "fix".

mjmart61

• Marked as answer by mjmart61 Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try clean boot to determine if a 3rd party software causes this issue.

If this is not the cause, I suggest you modify the registry value of mapped drivers to see if this issue persists:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Map Network Drive MRU then delete the duplicated drive path.

If this issue persists, please try another user account for test.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

You can try clean boot to determine if a 3rd party software causes this issue.

If this is not the cause, I suggest you modify the registry value of mapped drivers to see if this issue persists:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Map Network Drive MRU then delete the duplicated drive path.

If this issue persists, please try another user account for test.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

No 3rd party software is causing the issue.

I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Map Network Drive and there is only the default, nothing else.

There are no other user accounts on this machine.

mjmart61

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

How did you map the drive, with “Map network drive” or net use command?

Have you tried "net use /delete" from command prompt?

And I also suggest you remove all the mapped network drives, then re-map for a test.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

Friday, November 29, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

How did you map the drive, with “Map network drive” or net use command?

Have you tried "net use /delete" from command prompt?

And I also suggest you remove all the mapped network drives, then re-map for a test.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

I did use "Map network drive". 

I have not tried the net use /delete but I will the next time they show up.

I will also try removing all drives and remapping if the above doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I will let you know the results.

I will need to reboot soon. :)

mjmart61

Friday, November 29, 2013 3:39 PM
  • Net use /delete did remove the duplicated drives once but they have shown up again. 

I will try removing all and remapping the necessary drives soon.  I will let you know the results.

mjmart61

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Net use /delete did remove the duplicated drives once but they have shown up again. 

I will try removing all and remapping the necessary drives soon.  I will let you know the results.

mjmart61

I haven't had the chance to try remapping all of the drives yet but something interesting has happened.  I rebooted yesterday and the duplicated drives were showing up again.  I disconnected one and then got side-tracked with phone calls.  Today, I had to reboot again and now they are all gone.

It appears to be an intermitten issue with Windows 8.1 and File Explorer.  I have a feeling remapping all the drives will be a waste of time.

I'm going to let it go for now.  If it starts to cause major issues, I will post again.

I sure hope there is another update soon that addresses the issues with 8.1

mjmart61

• Marked as answer by mjmart61 Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:01 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mjmart61 Friday, February 21, 2014 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:01 PM

mjmart61

I haven't had the chance to try remapping all of the drives yet but something interesting has happened.  I rebooted yesterday and the duplicated drives were showing up again.  I disconnected one and then got side-tracked with phone calls.  Today, I had to reboot again and now they are all gone.

It appears to be an intermitten issue with Windows 8.1 and File Explorer.  I have a feeling remapping all the drives will be a waste of time.

I'm going to let it go for now.  If it starts to cause major issues, I will post again.

I sure hope there is another update soon that addresses the issues with 8.1

mjmart61

I have since had the time to try remapping all drives.  The issue persists but it is not consistent.  I did notice today, after many restarts, sometimes the drive did duplicate and sometimes it did not.  One time seemed unrelated to the restart as it was not duplicated right after, but when I looked some 10 minutes later it was. 

I really wish there was s solution for this becuase it is using the same drive letter as my flash drive I use for backups.  I have to go into explorer first to disconnect the duplicated drive letter in order to use the flash drive.  Very annoying.

mjmart61

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:50 PM
  • Now, today, after another Windows update, it is taking over some other drives. 

Example:  I have drive I:\ mapped to the virtual machine\my username\My Documents\My Backups.  When I opened the drive today, it was pointing to the virtual machine\a different folder.  I had to disconnect it and then when I remapped it, everything is fine.

It also did that to my V:\ drive and my W:\ drive - which are both mapped to different folders on the virtual machine.

This just seems to be getting worse with every update!

mjmart61

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Now, today, after another Windows update, it is taking over some other drives. 

Example:  I have drive I:\ mapped to the virtual machine\my username\My Documents\My Backups.  When I opened the drive today, it was pointing to the virtual machine\a different folder.  I had to disconnect it and then when I remapped it, everything is fine.

It also did that to my V:\ drive and my W:\ drive - which are both mapped to different folders on the virtual machine.

This just seems to be getting worse with every update!

mjmart61

• Edited by mjmart61 Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:40 PM
  • This issue is still happening.  I have done all the suggestions - net use delete, disconnect all drives and remapp - I did this twice, once using net use and once using Map Network drive, I even rebooted in between disconnecting the drives and adding them again.

It does not seem to be related to a restart at all.  And it isn't just duplicating the Hyper-V drives. 

I don't know if this is related but the other day, after another Windows update, it wasn't finding any of my computers on the network.  When I clicked on the Network folder, there was nothing there and when I refreshed (F5 or right click), none were found.  This has since corrected itself but keeps happenning from time to time.

I think it is riduculous that this is happenning.  If Windows 8.1 doesn't know how to deal with mapped drives, what else is going on????

I could really use some help here, or at least tell me if it is going to be fixed soon.  Please!

mjmart61

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:43 PM
  • It seems that the issue has resolved itself with the latest updates on Windows 8.1.  That tells me it was an issue with the OS and not my computer.  Hopefully, they won't revert the "fix".

mjmart61

• Marked as answer by mjmart61 Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Nope, still exists in Windows 10. Which leads me to believe it is either 3rd party or nothing to do with the mappings. I happen to have many libraries set up with locations across the network. I'm thinking it my be those libraries that are causing the duplicate mappings, simply because I don't see this on other machines where I do not have libraries. Not sure about this, it is only a hunch.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:23 AM
  • I have since had to get a new computer that now has the latest version of Windows 10 64-bit.  I do not have this issue any more.

mjmart61

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out?  I realize this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2020 2:26 AM
  • I am now using Windows 10 version 1909.  It does not have this issue - of duplicating drives.

mjmart61

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 3:17 PM