Running program fails on work computers but works at home RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 x64 systems at work that I am attempting to run a barcode font program ( bcsetup.exe ) that installs the font for Internet Explorer's use. However, when I run it at work, the following is displayed:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

I have tried running it in Vista, XP SP2, XP SP3 and even Windows 95 mode.  Same result on all of them.  The company that supplies the program insisted that it works on Windows x64 versions.

So, I took the bcsetup.exe home and tested it on a Windows XP x32, Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64 systems with NO issues.

I have disabled Data Execution Protection.  User Account Control has been disabled.  I disabled the hardware execution protection in the Dell BIOS (the systems at home were Dell and Lenovo).  I have unloaded (but not uninstalled) Trend's OfficeScan.  Nothing has worked yet.  I am going to uninstall Trend next and see if that solves this.  Any ideas as to what would be preventing it from running?

The only thing in the Application event log is

The program or feature "\??\C:\temp\bcsetup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:09 PM

Answers

• I took another computer and installed our x32 standard image.  When I try to run bcsetup.exe on it, it says 'Program too big to fit in memory".

Hi,

Sometimes, this error message appears because a installation file is not complete or corrupted during the download, so is the installation file the same as you have at home?

If the program header is corrupted, then various fields in the header such as those which specify the amount of memory required by the program will typically be nonsensical values. The loader sees an MS-DOS relocatable program that requires 800KB of conventional memory, and that's where "Out of memory" comes from.

You can re-download or re-copy the setup file for a test.

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:02 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:58 AM

All replies

• First please check the compatibility in the following link

Windows Compatibility Center

then you can also try to install this application in a compatible mode

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/cdd894f8-1ee2-43e5-952b-d04c25779a7f/how-to-install-a-software-application-using-compatibility-mode?forum=w7itproappcompat

Since this issue only occurred on work computers, do you have some policy applied on thes PCs? I suggest you choose one PC for  test, disconnect it form the work station, then install the application again.

Regards

Yolanda

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DilbertW1999 Friday, February 7, 2014 7:21 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:39 AM
  • As I mentioned before, I tested this on a Windows XP x32, Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64 systems at home.  They all worked fine, so the program is compatible.  It is when I try to run it on the computers at work that I get the incompatible message.  There is something on the work computers that is preventing it from running.

I took another computer and installed our x32 standard image.  When I try to run bcsetup.exe on it, it says 'Program too big to fit in memory".

Friday, February 7, 2014 9:34 PM
  • I took another computer and installed our x32 standard image.  When I try to run bcsetup.exe on it, it says 'Program too big to fit in memory".

Hi,

Sometimes, this error message appears because a installation file is not complete or corrupted during the download, so is the installation file the same as you have at home?

If the program header is corrupted, then various fields in the header such as those which specify the amount of memory required by the program will typically be nonsensical values. The loader sees an MS-DOS relocatable program that requires 800KB of conventional memory, and that's where "Out of memory" comes from.

You can re-download or re-copy the setup file for a test.

Yolanda

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:02 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:58 AM