Autoconfig Windows Mail App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

in organization wee want use Windows 10 Mail App as default mail client, instead thunderbeard.  60% users ar use roaming profile. Mail App location is appdata\LOCAL. After reboot or logoff all settings are deleted.

We can`t change location of windows mail app, for roaming profile.

Perhaps there is a possibility automatically configure mail app on logon, to use Exchange (Activesync). How resolve this problem?

Or maybe copy mail app folder to roaming folder on logoff. 

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Denis,

Firstly, I have to tell you that Mail app might not be the optimal choice of your scenario. Since it's roaming by Microsoft Account or Azure AD account.

If the on-premises Active Directory domain (means general domain like yours I supposed)does connect with Azure AD, your device will attempt to sync settings using the connected Azure AD account. If the Azure AD administrator does not enable Enterprise State Roaming, your connected Azure AD account will stop syncing settings.

Thus If you want it's roaming with roaming user profile, it's not possible.

Here I recommend you use the Microsoft Outlook with Exchange to resolve your problem. For further information about Exchange and Outlook, you could consult with Exchange forum for more professional help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Denis,

Firstly, I have to tell you that Mail app might not be the optimal choice of your scenario. Since it's roaming by Microsoft Account or Azure AD account.

If the on-premises Active Directory domain (means general domain like yours I supposed)does connect with Azure AD, your device will attempt to sync settings using the connected Azure AD account. If the Azure AD administrator does not enable Enterprise State Roaming, your connected Azure AD account will stop syncing settings.

Here I recommend you use the Microsoft Outlook with Exchange to resolve your problem. For further information about Exchange and Outlook, you could consult with Exchange forum for more professional help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Hi Denis,

Hi, and thanks for answer.

"Can I manage sync for a specific app or setting?
    In Windows 10, there is no MDM or Group Policy setting to disable roaming for an individual application. Tenant administrators can disable appdata sync for all apps on a managed device, but there is no finer control at a per-app or within-app level."

It mean that, only appdata\roaming well sync with Azure? Or only Microsoft app's folder in "appdata\roaming" directory.

Azure AD Enterprise Roaming not allow customize directory list? Like appdata\local or somethin else. 

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Hi Denis,

As far as I know, only use the Microsoft Account to mange sync for a specific app. Since you can sync the app date via the sign in this app with Microsoft account separately. However, you cannot choose which data can be synced within app. It will sync the whole app data. Since it's packed in a sandbox.

About how Azure AD sync the data and if it allow to customize the directory, I suggest you consult Azure AD forum to get more professional help:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=windowsazuread

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:12 AM