Can we call a MSI from Q drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I got an idea to call a MSI from Q Drive by OSD at Pre Launch. So I created a Dummy Sample Package with Just a MSI file in Q. (Q:\Sample.V01\Sample.MSI). This MSI has couple of files and registries.

The problem is, when I publish the applicatio to the client, Q Drive would not have this Sample.MSI. I did a little investigation with SFTExplorer and found that my Sample.MSI is in FB2 and is not on Q: Drive.

Any Idea, How I move the Sample.msi to FB1?

OR any one tried to run MSI from Q Drive? How easy is it?

Please help..

Thanks,

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers

•  Johri Mayank wrote:
    You can not launch msi packages from OSD files as MSI is a system service and will not work inside virtual enviornment

Well, that's not entirely true as otherwise MSI self-healing would not work at all.

Aside from that, it's probably not very good idea to try and run whole installation from the bubble (if it's even possible for the system-context related reasons). Files/directories would - at least partially - go into real filesystem and all registration entries into virtual registry, leaving lot of "orphaned" files into machine.

br,

Kalle

Monday, November 3, 2008 9:10 AM

All replies

• I have run EXE's from Q:\root, but not MSI's.  But I imagine it is no different.

This should work:

Start Monitoring

Copy MSI to Q:\root folder

Create shortcut somewhere to this MSI file, or you will not be able to get at it

Stop Monitoring.

Then in the launch phase of the wizard, click Next and then Yes.  Do not launch during sequencing, and the entire package will be part of FB1.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

to move the MIS into FB1, either "touch" it during "Application Launch" step or skip the "Application Launch" step completely -this should mark the MSi as part of FB1.

I asume that you can't call the MSI directly from within an OSD file (but call "msiexec.exe" as application and pass the MSI inside the PARAMETERS attribut.

Generaly I wonder why you'd like to call an MSI as part of a virtual App on the client. (and not already on the Sequencer). Is it user customization?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:25 PM
  • You can not launch msi packages from OSD files as MSI is a system service and will not work inside virtual enviornment

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:59 PM
  •  Johri Mayank wrote:
    You can not launch msi packages from OSD files as MSI is a system service and will not work inside virtual enviornment

Well, that's not entirely true as otherwise MSI self-healing would not work at all.

Aside from that, it's probably not very good idea to try and run whole installation from the bubble (if it's even possible for the system-context related reasons). Files/directories would - at least partially - go into real filesystem and all registration entries into virtual registry, leaving lot of "orphaned" files into machine.

br,

Kalle

Monday, November 3, 2008 9:10 AM