none
System State Backup fails with 517 error. RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting a similar problem to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmssandbmrbackup/thread/cdd2629a-d6c2-43eb-bff0-e83a70c47c65.  I have SP1 installed so I don't think the hotfix applies since it should have been rolled into SP1.

On DPM I am getting:
    DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x8078001D). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

On Server I am getting:
    The backup operation that started at '?2011?-?05?-?05T11:51:52.115879300Z' has failed with following error code '2155347997' (The operation ended before completion.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

I am getting this on 2 out 3 of my DC but no other servers.  The two that are having the issue one is physical and the other virtual.  Any ideas?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:15 PM

Answers

• The best troubleshooting for these issues is to work from the protected server itself ad attempt to use WBAdmin console and attempt to back up the system state to the location noted in the psdatasourceconfig.xml.  You can then look for warnings or errors in the wbadmin console as well as the application and system event log on that server.  DPM will not work until this process works.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Brian Hoyt Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:34 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

• The best troubleshooting for these issues is to work from the protected server itself ad attempt to use WBAdmin console and attempt to back up the system state to the location noted in the psdatasourceconfig.xml.  You can then look for warnings or errors in the wbadmin console as well as the application and system event log on that server.  DPM will not work until this process works.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Brian Hoyt Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:34 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Thanks, that helped.  I figured out that I was just at the threshold of low disk space and the backup was terminating at about 98% because of it.  I cleanup the disk a bit and they both completed fine.  It is interesting that neither DPM or WB listed this in the errors instead of just saying internal error.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:34 PM