Graphics card upgrade Windows experience went down by 0.8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have just upgraded my graphics card to a Sapphire HD7950 3gb OC from a Sapphire HD5770 vapour x, with the HD5770 I have a Windows experience of 7.4 with the far more powerful HD7950 it is now 6.6:-(

Config

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

AMD FX6100 6 cores, running at 3.6ghz

8gb 1600mgz DDR3 Ram

120 SATA 3 solid state HDD

I have the latest drivers and have uninstalled and reinstalled them but still the same.

Any explanation on why a card that is more powerful would do this?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The new generation HD7000 series have some power save functions, make sure this display card is running on full load while running WEI.

I suggest you update all the drivers, chipset from manufacture's website manually and then check the problem in Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to check Windows Experience Index log file :

"%SystemRoot%\Performance\WinSAT\winsat.log". That may give some relevant details.

Method 1:

a)     Press Windows+R. Copy and paste the following :
    %systemroot%\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore.

b)     Try to delete everything but the most recent file.
    c)     Reboot the computer
    d)     Then try doing the re-assessment.

Method 2:

Go into an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe run as administrator) and type in:

winsat formal

You can also refer to the link provided below for more information on Windows Experience Index.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-Windows-Experience-Index 

Best regards,
    Della Li

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Hi

Many thanks for the reply.

I have tried your points above and I am still getting the same results 6.6.

The winsat formal gave some interesting results, overall 7.9 but I have no idean what the results mean as I have never used the command before.... Sorry!

Anything else I can try?

Kind regards

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:25 PM