none
Windows 10 Family Safety Creates Mystery PCs RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been running family safety a number of years now. All my children have their own microsoft accounts that they use to log into  all my PCs. In one report, I noticed a PCs I did not recognize, thinking my child's account had been compromised, I changed his password, but the unknown PCs continued to appear. I then began to suspect it was an online game (Bloons TD Battles) so I blocked the game and then removed it from the PC. Still the mystery PCs were being reported. Finally I realized that the mystery PCs were running the applications that my child was running for the same amount of time that he was running it on one of my PCs. This gave me the evidence I needed that the mystery PCs were in fact my PC but the name of the PC was not being reported properly. I tried doing a clean install of windows 10 on the PC, but still the problem persists. My home network is all Windows 10 PCs with the exception of a WHS2011 PC which none of the kids log onto directly. They all use windows defender for protection and I use a hardware firewall. The problem appears to be coming from a single PC on the network which I built myself with an ASUS MOBO inside and nothing fancy. Sometimes I see the same PC names from week to week, and other times the names are new. In any case the mystery PCs are not listed under my child's devices. I would appreciate any thoughts on this because it does have me concerned and microsoft support has been unable to provide any useful insight.
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:01 PM

All replies

• One other piece of information, all my PCs are running windows 10 pro and I have homegroup setup on them.
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:06 PM