none
Need Help Removing Internet Explorer From Windows 2000 Server Since IE6 Keeps Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue removing IE6 from a Windows 2000 SP4 server.  Whenver users open IE6 on this server the browser keeps crashing with EventID 1000 messages sying "The description for Event ID (I000) in Source (Microsoft Internet Explorer) cannot be found.  The local computer many not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote compuer.  The following information is part of the event. iexplore.exe, 6.0.2800.1106 speedscreenaip.dll 2.3.1467.1, 0000400d."  I was able to go into the registry and successfully remove IE6 but even after that it sill keeps crashing so I am guessing that an older version of IE that is behind IE6 is still causing it to crash.  I have also tried reinstalling IE6 but that didn't fix it either.   It does not give me the option to actually remove IE from Add / Remove Programs nor is IE6 listed in the components section.  I also ran anti-spyware software on the server and it found 12 instances of malware which I removed but that still didn't do the trick.  Reinstalling Windows is not an option since this is an active server which many people work on on a daily basis.  Any help or assistance on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Thanks.  Steve

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm what steps you have tried to fix IE. Reset IE if you haven't tried.

What is the exact error message after reinstalling IE6. If it still related to speedscreenaip.dll, please note that this file belong to Citrix Systems, you may need to replace it or reinstalling the software. If it does not work, try the following steps to check if it helps:

Step 1. From IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

Step 2. Put a tick in the check box next to "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”
    Step 3. Type in "0.0.0.0" in the address box and "80" in the Port box. Don't type in the quote marks of course, just what's inside them.

Step 4. Click OK.

With these setting IE cannot make an HTML connection to the internet and vice versa. You have simply and effectively disabled IE.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 20, 2010 11:09 AM