none
status manager RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Server 2010 and a question about the status manager field.

When someone opens a project in MS Project the name in the status manager field:

• changes to the name of the person who opened in the file in all summary tasks
    • stays the same in all non-summary tasks.

What is the reason for this?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:25 AM

Answers

• The summary tasks don't actually have Status Managers(assuming no assignment). However, during early development of the 2010 release, not showing a value there seemed to cause consternation that there was missing data. The decision was made by the client team to show the logged in user name.

Thus, summary tasks always show the logged in user.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in fact it doesn't change anything if you don't touch the tasks.

If you change something in a task then it assumes that you are the status manager of this task and it puts your name there. From that moment on you will be the new status manager for that taks, and you will receive the task approvals in the approval center.

If you do not want this to happen, then do not forget to put back the correct name of the status manager (and why are you changing this task if you are not the status manager?)

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

José Espases

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:14 AM
  • HFProjects,

Good question! I do not know the technical reason, but my guess is that figuratively, 1) Summary Tasks should not have assignments 2) the person who is editing the plan has the ability to change the Summary task values (does not mean they should. Roll-up is encouraged instead). 

I am sure other experts on the forum will be able to chip in as well.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:56 PM
  • The summary tasks don't actually have Status Managers(assuming no assignment). However, during early development of the 2010 release, not showing a value there seemed to cause consternation that there was missing data. The decision was made by the client team to show the logged in user name.

Thus, summary tasks always show the logged in user.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

To answer your question, José, there is a difference between the status manager and the resource assigned to the task. The latter updates % complete and sends the update to the status manager for approval. It doesn't make sense that the resource would need to change the status manger field every time this is done?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

when I answered initially I was thinking in the way we are using the system, and it happens that the resources never use Project Professional, it is only used by Project Managers, and they only touch the tasks they are responsible to manage (so they are the status managers of those tasks).

Regarding the updates on the tasks (Actual Work) it is always reported by Resources through Timesheets, and there is no approval of timesheet, only status manager approvals. We are using Single Entry Mode.

Using this way, the Resources do never need to change the Status Manager.

José Espases

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:38 AM