none
missing a GPO in 2012R2 essentails

Question

• Not sure how this happened but I'm missing the WSE Group Policy Folder Redirection from my Essentials server. Other defauly GPO's are there. As a result implementing the redirection policy via the console fails.

Is there any way of recreating or importing the default policy?? Not looking forward to reinstall...

thnx

Dennis

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:17 PM

Answers

•  If I touch the folder redirection function, tick one of the boxes for redirection (example, Desktop) and hit apply it fails.

Hi,
    Appreciate your update.
    What the error message is showed when applying redirection? Please share us the details.
    As you said, the test server of 2012R2 essentials was successful, you could have a try to import this GPO from this server to your target server, please see details from:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/cc779123(v=ws.10).aspx
    In addition, please verify that the account you are using to apply has the proper permission to edit and apply this GPO.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

Please share us what way you are using to access GPO for folder redirection and security on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server.

As far as I know, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials simplifies Folder Redirection and Security Settings Group Policies into its Dashboard. Please check if you could see folder redirection and security  settings from Dashboard on server. You could have a try following the detail steps in the link as below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj730388.aspx#BKMK_5

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Yes, 2012R2 essentials is, like 2012 essentials, a simplified way of dealing with the couple of GPO's provided. Through the dashboard I do get the "implement group policy" action and as long as all I ask of it is to implement or remove the security related GPO's all is fine. If I touch the folder redirection function, tick one of the boxes for redirection (example, Desktop) and hit apply it fails.

If I go in though the GPO editor, outside of the dashboard, I can see the security GPO's and could, if I wanted, edit them. I cannot see however the WSE Group Policy Folder Redirection GPO. I know it should be there as it is on a test version of 2012R2 essentials - it shows the GPO just fine.

I'm thinking that the dashboard calls upon the GPO's to implement the policies - and the folder redirection fails as the GPO is actually not there.

Don't know why it is missing, script to create it might have failed during installation, but would like it back...

any ideas??

Dennis

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:52 AM
  •  If I touch the folder redirection function, tick one of the boxes for redirection (example, Desktop) and hit apply it fails.

Hi,
    Appreciate your update.
    What the error message is showed when applying redirection? Please share us the details.
    As you said, the test server of 2012R2 essentials was successful, you could have a try to import this GPO from this server to your target server, please see details from:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/cc779123(v=ws.10).aspx
    In addition, please verify that the account you are using to apply has the proper permission to edit and apply this GPO.

Regards,
    Wendy

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:10 AM