none
LiteTouch Deployment Failed. Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I received this error on a laptop that was sent back to me for re-imaging.  When I set it to start with all parameters set, I received this error.  I then went into a command line and did a clean on disk 0 to clear all volumes and partitions.  When I went to perform the deployment over again, I got the same error message.  Looking through the logs, I am unable to determine exactly what caused this failure.  I have attached the log files generated from the deployment to a public sharing site.  Below is the link to the log files themselves.


    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnkJZ7azSrQpbxulrqvCSjfUCBU

    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 11:28 PM

Answers

  • Did you manually edit the Task Sequence in the ts.xml file, like through a text editor?

    Maybe try creating a plain task sequence with just a few drivers and an OS.  Just edit through the task sequence editor in MDT.  Try to deploy that and see if you get the same issue.

    The second <![LOG[XML line in the excerpt you provided make me think that there are some hidden characters like it was written to in Unicode but needed to be written to in ASCII... or the other way around.  See this:   

     Invalid at the top level of the document. ÿþ<


    It looks like that is the BOM (Byte Order Mark)  You will need to remove that before the TS will run.
    • Edited by LawsonT Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by TBingeman Friday, August 3, 2018 3:13 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:42 PM

All replies

  • Looking at the BDD.log, it shows that the last command to attempt to be run is "X:\Deploy\tools\X64\TSMBootstrap.exe" /env:SAStart  The error is associated with the execution of that command.  First, I would recommend checking out the SMSTS.log file and see if you can find the errors in there.  80004005 is a generic error, like "Whoops something went wrong, buuuuut we dont know what".

    LawsonT

    Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:27 PM
  • I have added the smsts.log file to the public share.  In the log I am seeing the following:

    <![LOG[Parsing task sequence . . .]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.682+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1692" file="tsmanager.cpp:1845">
    <![LOG[XML parsing error at line 1 char 1: Invalid at the top level of the document.
    ÿþ<]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1692" file="ccmxml.h:1250">
    <![LOG[Failed to load  task sequence from XML. 80004005.]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1692" file="tsxml.cpp:69">
    <![LOG[Task Sequence Manager could not initialize Task Sequence Engine. code 80004005]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1692" file="tsmanager.cpp:1867">
    <![LOG[Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1692" file="tsmanager.cpp:1314">
    <![LOG[Cleaning Up.]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1692" file="tsmanager.cpp:794">
    <![LOG[Removing Authenticator]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1692" file="tsmanager.cpp:922">
    <![LOG[Successfully unregistered Task Sequencing Environment COM Interface.]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1692" file="environmentlib.cpp:960">
    <![LOG[Executing command line: "X:\Deploy\Tools\X64\TsProgressUI.exe" /Unregister]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.698+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1692" file="commandline.cpp:828">
    <![LOG[==========[ TsProgressUI started in process 1840 ]==========]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.724+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TsProgressUI" context="" type="1" thread="1836" file="winmain.cpp:330">
    <![LOG[Unregistering COM classes]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.724+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TsProgressUI" context="" type="1" thread="1836" file="winmain.cpp:204">
    <![LOG[Shutdown complete.]LOG]!><time="19:00:19.724+480" date="08-01-2018" component="TsProgressUI" context="" type="1" thread="1836" file="winmain.cpp:512">

    I am not sure what would be causing it to not be able to parse the XML file.  I have uploaded the TS.xml file also.

    Thursday, August 2, 2018 3:05 PM
  • Did you manually edit the Task Sequence in the ts.xml file, like through a text editor?

    Maybe try creating a plain task sequence with just a few drivers and an OS.  Just edit through the task sequence editor in MDT.  Try to deploy that and see if you get the same issue.

    The second <![LOG[XML line in the excerpt you provided make me think that there are some hidden characters like it was written to in Unicode but needed to be written to in ASCII... or the other way around.  See this:   

     Invalid at the top level of the document. ÿþ<


    It looks like that is the BOM (Byte Order Mark)  You will need to remove that before the TS will run.
    • Edited by LawsonT Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by TBingeman Friday, August 3, 2018 3:13 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:42 PM
  • We did setup a powershell script to edit the files when we are adding in a new powershell step.  Will talk to my developer to see if he can force ASCII instead of Unicode.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:50 PM
  • I worked with my developer and we were able to force the editted xml file to UTF-8 instead of UTF-8-BOM
    Friday, August 3, 2018 3:13 PM