none
Installing Exchange on-prem post O365 migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working with a couple of customers who have successfully migrated to Office 365:

• All mailboxes moved to Exchange Online
    • Running ADFS and therefore also AADC
    • Autodiscover, MX and other records moved to Office 365
    • Decommissoned all previous Exchange 2010 servers

So the issue is at hand: With the AD schema already extended for Exchange and objects synced from the on-premises AD to Office 365, there are frequently issues editing those attributes in Exchange Online. For example:

The action ‘Set-DistributionGroup’, ‘ModerationEnabled’, can’t be performed on the object ‘Office365’ because the object is being synchronized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your on-premises organization.

I am aware that the only supported method for editing these attributes in the on-premise enviroment is via Exchange Admin Center/Console or the Exchange Management Shell. But since the former Exchange server has been decommisoned, how would I go about installing a new one with objects already in sync and Exchange attributes previously populated (MailboxGUID, LegacyDN etc etc..)?

I am thinking of something like this but I'm not sure what implications it might have:

• Stop the synchronization service (AADC)
    • Install Exchange 2013 or 2016 (which ever is possible) Hybrid-Deployment with free license: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2939261/how-to-obtain-an-exchange-hybrid-edition-product-key-for-your-on-premises-exchange-2007-or-exchange-2003-organization
    • Configure AADC with Exchange Hybrid Deployment
    • Remove any possible SCP values created during the Exchange installation
    • Setup Connectors between Exchange-OnPrem and Exchange Online and migrate from existing IIS smtp relay service.

I have tried to google my way around it but i've yet to find someone that have tackled this before so I thought i'd post my question here. Can anyone assist with some guidance?

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:36 PM

Answers

• Yes, you shouldn't have removed the on-premises Exchange server.

Your proposed procedure is pretty much what I'd advise you to do.

You don't need to reestablish the hybrid configuration if you don't have any other use for it.  Installing a server on premises is sufficient.  If you want to move the SMTP connectors to the new server, which isn't a bad idea, then I'd recommend you do it through a hybrid configuration, but it's not strictly necessary.  It's just usually easier that way.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:41 PM

All replies

• Yes, you shouldn't have removed the on-premises Exchange server.

Your proposed procedure is pretty much what I'd advise you to do.

You don't need to reestablish the hybrid configuration if you don't have any other use for it.  Installing a server on premises is sufficient.  If you want to move the SMTP connectors to the new server, which isn't a bad idea, then I'd recommend you do it through a hybrid configuration, but it's not strictly necessary.  It's just usually easier that way.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:41 PM
  • Hello BigL93,

Does On-premise Exchange install succeed with your steps?
    If you need any further help, be free to post the update here.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:29 AM