WD2013 shows dialog with words from two languages (and badly worded message) when notifying of an editing conflict when saving to SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

during testing of a solution för Office/SharePoint we noticed that the dialog that warns that an editing (change) conflict has occured at saving, contains words from both swedish (the version we use) and english. (The sw grammar is abysmal btw.) Does any of you know if that is a localization  bug that has been corrected in some patch ?

Image of dialog (notice occurence of english words amidst local language text):

[image could not be uploaded due to this unexplicaple message: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account."--is being a logged in MSDN account holder not qualifying enough?]

So here goes in text form (english words within asterisks)

"När du sparar hitta uppdateringar för Word dokument med ändringar som gjorts av *others*. *You* kan lägga nytt innehåll genom att söka efter grönt överlägg"

• Edited by Q2014 Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:40 PM improved title
    • Moved by George Hua Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:15 AM non-programming question
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:35 PM

Answers

• I looked up this message on the Microsoft Language Portal (using  "grönt överlägg" to find it). It shows the English version as

When you save, Word updates your document with the changes made by others.You can easily find the new content by looking for a green overlay.

and the Swedish version as

När du sparar hitta uppdateringar för Word dokument med ändringar som gjorts av others.You kan lätt nytt innehåll genom att söka efter ett grönt överlägg.

So I suspect you are right and that the translation is incomplete. I cannot imagine that "others" and "you" are some kind of parameters that have been left in, because that kind of approach to translation just doesn't work.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Q2014 Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:57 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Since the question is more related to Word product, I have moved this thread to Technet Word forum for more effective responses.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:17 AM
  • Hi Q2014,

Is there two language packs installed on your PC?

First, you can try to repair Office 2013 from Control Panel > Programs and Features >Office > Change > Repair. Then make sure that Office and Windows are up-to-date.

Since your account isn’t verified, you are unable to post your question with images and links.

If you want to share the screenshot with us, you can upload the picture to OneDrive and post the link here.

https://onedrive.live.com/

I’ll analyze this issue in detail as soon as receive more detail information.

Best regards,

Greta Ge

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
    Friday, August 22, 2014 9:36 AM
  • I looked up this message on the Microsoft Language Portal (using  "grönt överlägg" to find it). It shows the English version as

When you save, Word updates your document with the changes made by others.You can easily find the new content by looking for a green overlay.

and the Swedish version as

När du sparar hitta uppdateringar för Word dokument med ändringar som gjorts av others.You kan lätt nytt innehåll genom att söka efter ett grönt överlägg.

So I suspect you are right and that the translation is incomplete. I cannot imagine that "others" and "you" are some kind of parameters that have been left in, because that kind of approach to translation just doesn't work.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Q2014 Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:57 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:04 PM
  • I have no experience with SharePoint, but I'm wondering if "you" and "others" in this context could be references to users or groups of users...

Anyway, it is clear that the translation is poor.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, August 24, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Thanks Peter and Stefan. I did not know about the language portal btw. That verifies that it is a "bug".

Link to the picture as text:

/?cid=E362C6282DA68452&id=E362C6282DA68452%21113&v=3#cid=E362C6282DA68452&id=E362C6282DA68452%21104

The irritating message despite me being logged in:

---------------------------
    Meddelande från webbsida
    Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.
    OK  

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:51 PM
  • To get your account verified, you need to post in the most recent "verify your account" thread in the forum at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=reportabug.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:30 PM