cannot install TP3 in VM (gen2) of Server 2012(hyper-v) RRS feed

• Question

• host 2012 R2

cannot install 2016 TP3 from ISO.

The same ISO used for USB key from which installed 2016 on couple of laptops. Extracted original MS ISO few times.

On VM start can see Install screen and then "your computer run into the problem... page fault in non paged area"

I installed for test W7 and W10 from ISO on this host. Run memory diagnostics on my TEST box. NO problem.

1. Can somebody confirm successful install from 2016TP3 ISO on 2012 host?

2. What to do?

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Sunday, August 23, 2015 11:50 AM

Answers

• pob579,

I did repro this as both a Generation 1 and 2.  I got a different bugcheck, but a bugcheck none the less.  Just to make sure the ISO was good, I successfully created a VM on a Windows 2016 Hyper-V host.  To take this a step further, I got a higher/later build ISO and was successful in creating this as a VM on 2012 R2 host.

I'll check around and see if anyone in the Product Group is aware of this.

Thanks, John Marlin Microsoft Server Beta Team

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:27 PM
  • @Michael,

Our Product Group has finally reproed this using my machine and there is a bug on this that was fixed, but not yet rolled into the version that is currently available.  They are working to get it into the next release, but no word on if it will make it.

Monday, August 31, 2015 3:52 PM

All replies

• pob579,

I did repro this as both a Generation 1 and 2.  I got a different bugcheck, but a bugcheck none the less.  Just to make sure the ISO was good, I successfully created a VM on a Windows 2016 Hyper-V host.  To take this a step further, I got a higher/later build ISO and was successful in creating this as a VM on 2012 R2 host.

I'll check around and see if anyone in the Product Group is aware of this.

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:27 PM
  • John,

thanks for input. I am in good hands :)

I am trying to set 2016 VM on Server 2012 because my two test boxes are Quad Core, so no SLAT.

Sure I first tried to install use pure 2016. And when tried to install Hyper-V on 2016 Core, I got a message about SLAT requierement for Hyper-V in 2016. That is not the case with Server 2012.

I made plenty of deployments on 2012 hyper-v running on Lab Quad core machines.

Would be great if you can provide a solution (may be latest TP3 ISO).

Thanks again.

Michael.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, August 24, 2015 11:56 PM
  • Michael,

Can you give me what the hardware is?  What machine and model?  What processors?  If you run MSINFO32.EXE, it will show you and what I need.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:47 AM
  • it is a clone machine...

I would like to make it work just to visualize containers and NANO. If not I can move to some HP i5 worksations or Proliant 380 G7.

So see plz if you can help... Here is msinfo...

OS Name Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name HV-2012
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2203, 7/8/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Not Available
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.16384"
    User Name Not Available
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.97 GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.53 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 9.84 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 7.32 GB
    Page File Space 1.88 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed. 

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:27 AM
  • Please note - Windows Server 2016 should work on Windows Server 2012 R2.  However, we are not supporting running Windows Server 2016 on Windows Server 2012.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:22 AM
  • Ben, thank you for the info...

Just wanted to use old hardware that served well for Hyper-V 2008 and 2012.

John,

any option to get a higher/later build ISO that you mentioned? Could you place it to OneDrive?

If yes, send please the link to pob579@hotmail.com 

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Micheal,

We just want to be doubly sure here.  You are talking about the host being Windows Server 2012 R2, correct?

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:01 PM
  • John,

Yes it is Full Server 2012 R2 Standard with Hyper-V role on it (as shown in msinfo). Just tried 2016 installation again on VM...

Oh miracle... :)... this time it worked. Installed Full 2016 TP3. And 2016 Core. With my 8GB of RAM can run couple of NANOs.

Don't know what happened... no rain today :)

Sure before posting tried multiple times to run VM and tried few ISOs extracted from TP3.

I am happy that finally it run. When started Core installation it failed once again but on second try it worked.

Looks like TP doesn't like something on Clone. But accepts then.

So I can test NANO and Containers on this old QUAD core hardware. I will deploy the same in Azure.

I am limited now with testing 2016 Hyper-V on those 2 comps. But it is not a problem now. And I know that 2016 requires SLAT that is not supported on Quad core (was confirmed here on forum).

Thank you very much for trying to help.

Regards,

Michael.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:05 PM
  • Michael,

Good to hear it installed and you can continue.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:50 PM
  • @Michael,

Our Product Group has finally reproed this using my machine and there is a bug on this that was fixed, but not yet rolled into the version that is currently available.  They are working to get it into the next release, but no word on if it will make it.

Monday, August 31, 2015 3:52 PM
  • 2016 getting better by GIANT STEPS :)

Monday, August 31, 2015 4:42 PM