Moved some datasources from DPM server A to DPM server B, unable to setup secondary protection again... RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i have used the DPM 2012 SP1 scale out feature to move some hyper-v datasources from DPMserverA to DPMserverB (DPMserverA had hit the LDM DB limit). These data sources were all setup for secondary protection on DPMserverC.

Now i'm trying to setup secondary protection again, DPMserverB protected by DPMserverC, and the data sources are failing to enumerate when i try to create the protection group. The error I get is:

DPM was unable to get the list of data sources on hypervcluster that are protected by primary DPM server DPMserverB

I suspect this is because i used the scale out feature to migrate from A to B, any ideas on how to fix?

Friday, September 20, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, Secondary DPM protection is not supported for a scale-out DPM server deployments.

See blog:http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/05/01/sc-2012-sp1-dpm-leveraging-dpm-scaleout-feature-to-protect-vms-deployed-on-a-big-cluster.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:00 PM
  • so now we have completed the migration to the new DPM server, the hyper-v hosts are all single homed, and we are not using the scale out feature - how can I fix whatever scale out broke?

thanks

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Don't know of anybody that has run into this condition, so best to open a support ticket to help cleanup DPMDB.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Hello Tony,

Have you received any help from Microsoft to resolve this issue? I'm experiencing same problem here after moving some datasources between primary servers keeping same secondary server. But I never used the scale-out feature.

http://kf.lj.ru

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Hi Kirill - I had to engage PSS to clear up entries in the MSDPM DB that referenced the datasource when it existed on the previous primary DPM server. I was informed that moving datasources that have secondary protection enabled is not actually supported! Its in this technet article - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

I wasn't too happy about this as it really restricts how the DPM environment can grow over time, hopefully its something that will be fixed in later versions of DPM

Friday, April 4, 2014 8:13 AM