Forefront Definition Updates Vista vs. Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have forefront server up and running in the 3 server topology.  My Vista workstation has definitions updated as of 12/5/06 (v1.10.1929.3), but the servers only show 11/7/06 (v1.10.1828.1).  WSUS also only shows 1828.1 so I assume Vista grabbed the more recent definition directly.

I tried using the microsoft update website and it only shows 1828 from server 2003, I do see the more recent definitions if I run a manual update from Vista.

Am I missing something on the configuration?  Are the definitions for Server 03 really a month behind?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 10:04 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the post.

No, the  definitions are not that far behind.  It is likely that something is amiss in your configuration.  Here is a snippet from my WSUS server today:

Definition Update for BETA Microsoft Forefront Client Security (Antimalware 1.10.1929.7)      Definition Updates         12/7/2006      Install

Definition Update for BETA Microsoft Forefront Client Security (Antimalware 1.10.1929.6)      Definition Updates         12/7/2006      Install

It may be that you have two problems: your WSUS server is not sync’ing with Microsoft and your server machines are not downloading and applying updates.  Here is what I would recommend:

For the WSUS server:

1.    Launch the WSUS Administration console

2.    Choose Options in the upper right

3.    Click Synchronization Options

4.    Verify that the “Synchronize Daily” radio button is selected

5.    Verify that Forefront Client Security(or All Forefront Products) is listed under products

·         If not click Change.. and add it

6.    Verify that Definition Updates is listed under Update Classifications

·         If not click Change.. and add it

7.    Ensure the proxy settings are accurate

8.    Save settings if you changed them

9.    Choose Syncronize now and see if new definitions updates are pulled down

For the servers:

It is likely that if you fix WSUS then the servers should start updating themselves.  However, it does concern me that you when to MicrosoftUpdate it did not pull down the latest definitions.  The first thing to check would be to make sure you went to MicrosoftUpdate on the server and not WindowsUpdate.  If you fix the WSUS server or you are indeed going to MicrosoftUpdate and the server does not subsequently pull down the latest definitions, then we will want to take a closer look at that machine’s WindowsUpdate.log file.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Thursday, December 7, 2006 2:54 PM
  • The WSUS server is 3.0. All other updates are being downloaded from Microsoft and deployed throughout the enterprise with no issues. The WSUS server will not download updates for ForeFront past 11/07. Any more ideas?
    Friday, December 8, 2006 6:51 PM
  • Hello Jeremy,

As far as I know WSUS 3.0 should be able to pull down FCS definitions as long as both the FCS product and the Definition Updates category are marked to be synchronized.  I downloaded the WSUS 3.0 Beta2 bits from the web and am going to verify that it does indeed work.

I’ll post back with what I find.

Thanks,

Craig

Thursday, December 14, 2006 2:39 PM
  • To give a quick update on this posting:

I was able to reproduce this issue, the latest FCS definitions I received with WSUS 3.0 was 1.10.1828.1 released on November 8th .  I have contacted the WSUS product group and we will work to figure out the source of the problem.

I’ll will post back when I know more.

-Craig

Monday, December 18, 2006 2:52 PM
  • Thank you Craig - I look forward to a resolution.
    Monday, December 18, 2006 4:30 PM
  • The WSUS team was able to identify and correct the problem.  The definition updates should be flowing once again.  I was able to pull down today’s versions(1.1.1940.x) to my server.

Thank you for reporting this, please let us know if definitions are not visible now or in the future.

Craig

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:39 PM