Can we restrict the number of VMs that can be created on a single Hyper-V host? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts,

Can we restrict the number of VMs that can be created on a single Hyper-V host?

We have Windows Server 2016 stand alone Hyper-V host and we need to restrict only 45 VMs on the host.

Many thanks...

DevT-MCT

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>>Can we restrict the number of VMs that can be created on a single Hyper-V host?

As far as I know, as long as our host resources are adequate, we can create countless virtual machines.

>> We have Windows Server 2016 stand alone Hyper-V host and we need to restrict only 45 VMs on the host.

I don't think we can limit the number of virtual machines. As mentioned above, it depends on your hardware configuration. For example if you hardware has 2GB of RAM and you have a virtual machine that needs 1.5GB of RAM then in your case you can only support one VM running at a time.   You can create 10 or more, but just only one virtual machine can be run at a time.

Hope this can help you.

Cheers,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dev T Saturday, June 29, 2019 3:21 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately there is no restriction for this, as long as there are physical resources (i.e. CPU, memory, disk space) you will be able to create virtual machines.

Instead try to restrict how many have access to the Hyper-V host.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>>Can we restrict the number of VMs that can be created on a single Hyper-V host?

As far as I know, as long as our host resources are adequate, we can create countless virtual machines.

>> We have Windows Server 2016 stand alone Hyper-V host and we need to restrict only 45 VMs on the host.

I don't think we can limit the number of virtual machines. As mentioned above, it depends on your hardware configuration. For example if you hardware has 2GB of RAM and you have a virtual machine that needs 1.5GB of RAM then in your case you can only support one VM running at a time.   You can create 10 or more, but just only one virtual machine can be run at a time.

Hope this can help you.

Cheers,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 28, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately there is no restriction for this, as long as there are physical resources (i.e. CPU, memory, disk space) you will be able to create virtual machines.

Instead try to restrict how many have access to the Hyper-V host.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Agree, not possible to do that by default with Hyper-V itself, but System Center VMM could help you configure some limits. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:52 AM