XP SP3 Reboot Loop - After 2 Days RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I built a computer for a friend out of spare parts which is purely for editing images and printing them, offline. its not powerful and is pretty ancient... ASrock motherboard some AMD processer, 512mb DDR, 250W PS and a couple of drives...

I have spend around 10 hours installing XP, updates, software etc and yesterday it failed...

Basically it had only been booted around 6 times in total since XP was installed initially and on a boot yesterday i received a message about a file was missing i think it was C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

So i carried out the nessecery steps to fix this problem using a microsoft help article and the recovery console and rebooted, however it just started the boot loop straight away.

So im not very happy as all of my time on this PC is wasted so far!!

If anyone could suggest anything to me in order to solve this problem that would be great as I really am unhappy that it has failed so quickly!

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• Try NTFS4DOS

Google that and use the intructions on the website to get the chkdsk (check disc) program working. It can be run from a floppy disc. It's worth a shot.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Ok ill take a look, also i forgot to mention this is SP3 installed which ive seen can cause this with a lot of people.

Oh and also once i have created the NTFSDOS boot disk what exactly do I have to do to fix this problem?

Cheers

Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Bad RAM or failing hard drive would be primary suspects.  See the following for more help:

Registry troubleshooting steps for advanced users

John

Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:42 PM
  • You would be trying to do the same thing that you do with the Recovery Console except that you would be trying to do this in an antiquated DOS environment rather than the NT environment provided by the Recovery Console.  If you find this too awkward with the Recovery Console you could try using a UBCD4Win boot disk instead.

John

Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:49 PM