Configure computer as relay? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello dear technet forum members,

I hope you can help me with this matter:

We have one WSUS server deploying updates to many distant sites via vpn, we want to avoid slow network so we want WSUS to be able to relay the updates to a single computer on that distant network, so that other computers can use his shared folder as a source of updates. I know SCCM offers this, but we only have WSUS for now,

Is it possible?

THank you in advance

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

• thank you for your answer !!

but.. would this require us to have multiple wsus servers? can't the computer running on windows 7 act as a relay?

Hi Exc_Adm,

Windows update files stores in Content folder, and it's not recommended to store Content folder on a network path, it will cause permission issues and cause clients unable to download the update.

So Win7 is hard to meet your requirement.

If you don't want clients to download updates from Internal WSUS server, you may check "Do not store update files locally; computers install from Microsoft Update".

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Exc_Adm Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:24 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hello dear technet forum members,

I hope you can help me with this matter:

We have one WSUS server deploying updates to many distant sites via vpn, we want to avoid slow network so we want WSUS to be able to relay the updates to a single computer on that distant network, so that other computers can use his shared folder as a source of updates. I know SCCM offers this, but we only have WSUS for now,

Is it possible?

THank you in advance

Yes, WSUS can be configured this way. Check out the

Design the WSUS Server Layout from the WSUS documentation. There is the WSUS deployment that uses multiple connected WSUS servers section which sets up replicas. You may want to try the disconnected network.

Another popular configuration for many distant sites is to make the clients grab directly from Microsoft instead of your WSUS. 

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:17 PM

but.. would this require us to have multiple wsus servers? can't the computer running on windows 7 act as a relay?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:38 PM

Hi Exc_Adm,

Windows update files stores in Content folder, and it's not recommended to store Content folder on a network path, it will cause permission issues and cause clients unable to download the update.

So Win7 is hard to meet your requirement.

If you don't want clients to download updates from Internal WSUS server, you may check "Do not store update files locally; computers install from Microsoft Update".

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Exc_Adm Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:24 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:06 AM