Welcome Screen will not turn on RRS feed

• Question

•  

Although I have the Welcome screen turned on in Computer Restrictions, I still get a normal login box with username and password....what I want is a listing of the accounts, normal welcome screen......

When I try to adjust this manually by going to Control Panel, User Accounts, and Change the Way a User Logs On or Off, I receive a message that a ProxGina.dll is restricting this.....

any ideas on how to overcome this???? Thanks!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Seromine,

Based on my research, ProxGina.dll is not a system file. It can be installed from a third party program which is not fully compatible with Welcome Screen. Do you have some programs/devices related to Proxim/Harmony (Security Service)? They can be related to your wireless LAN. Please uninstall/reinstall them to check the result.

You can also check if there is Harmony Security Service on your computer. If there is, temporarily disable it with the following steps to test:

---------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in services.msc and click OK.

3. Check if there is Harmony Security Service.

4. If the service can be found, right click it and then choose Stop.

5. Try to configure Welcome Screen again from Control Panel.

For your information, a GINA.dll is responsible to present the logon window. By default, the GINA file included in Windows is msgina.dll (under C:\Windows\system32). Now it seems the GINA has been replaced by a third party GINA file, the Welcome window will not be displayed if the third party GINA does not support it.

Best Regards,

Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Seromine,

Based on my research, ProxGina.dll is not a system file. It can be installed from a third party program which is not fully compatible with Welcome Screen. Do you have some programs/devices related to Proxim/Harmony (Security Service)? They can be related to your wireless LAN. Please uninstall/reinstall them to check the result.

You can also check if there is Harmony Security Service on your computer. If there is, temporarily disable it with the following steps to test:

---------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in services.msc and click OK.

3. Check if there is Harmony Security Service.

4. If the service can be found, right click it and then choose Stop.

5. Try to configure Welcome Screen again from Control Panel.

For your information, a GINA.dll is responsible to present the logon window. By default, the GINA file included in Windows is msgina.dll (under C:\Windows\system32). Now it seems the GINA has been replaced by a third party GINA file, the Welcome window will not be displayed if the third party GINA does not support it.

Best Regards,

Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:37 AM
  • PROXGINA.DLL

I finally had this problem myself recently, seems that PROXGINA changes a major part of MSFT operating systems and should be considered a major threat to any operating system;

here is what I had to do; sorry if this is not per batem, but editing your registry should only be done by someone familiar with doing it.

Start the infected system in Safe Mode without Network support, do not have any Cables or be Connected to the Internet.

DO NOT DELETE ANY PROXGINA.DLL REFERENCES : CHANGE THEM TO MSGINA.DLL

I had to search the registry for any PROXGINA.DLL locations;

Manually edit them back to MSGINA.DLL and including and strings.

Search The hard drive for any references of PROXGINA.DLL

Remember that any backups of the registry might contain this problem also.

Do not restart system till you run a full virus checker.

Even after this, I still have some other issues to correct related to other issues.

hope your system starts normally afterwards this fix.

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:56 AM
  • I'm getting the same error but instead with a "msgina.dll".  i would think the msgina.dll is microsoft so how to I overcome that?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

My welcome screen is disabled, prompt says "a recently installed program may be responsible.  A clue might be program associated with GTGina.dll".  I did download Driver Director, updated Adobe Flash, but that's it.  I uninstalled DriverDir but kept Adobe Flash.  When I did a search on the GTGina.dll, it was in the Windows/System32 file.  I deleted the file, and still cannot get a welcome/user screen.

Is this something that may be buried in the registry?  Please advise.

Thanks.......Kurt 

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Ideally, you could determine which program installed the custom GINA and then uninstall that program via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.  If you aren't able to determine which program installed the GINA, you can follow the steps in this KB article to manually remove it from the registry.  This specific KB article talks about removing the PCAnywhere GINA, but the process is the same for any custom GINA.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/817142

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:40 AM