Backup error code (0x80004001) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using an external hard drive to store my backups. Capacity is 298 GB. My latest backup failed to complete and error code   (0x80004001) appeared with notice that drive has insufficient space. The free capacity on the hard drive shows 24.2 MB.

Also, it takes four hours at least to backup.

Is there a corruption, or do I need an external hard drive with a higher capacity?

Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:04 AM

Answers

• Hi

If the hard drive does not have the capacity how will data be backed up there. The time for backup depends on how much of data are you backing up.

Run chkdsk on your system and the external drive for finding any file system issue and repair it.

Also check when your data is being backed up , is there some other process also running at the same time which is utilizing high cpu and memory.

Thanks,

**-CK-**

Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:15 AM
  • Hi Rayfrid,

Please free up the external drive to get more space to save the backup or save the backup to another storage media.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 2, 2015 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi

If the hard drive does not have the capacity how will data be backed up there. The time for backup depends on how much of data are you backing up.

Run chkdsk on your system and the external drive for finding any file system issue and repair it.

Also check when your data is being backed up , is there some other process also running at the same time which is utilizing high cpu and memory.

Thanks,

**-CK-**

Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:15 AM
  • Hi Rayfrid,

Please free up the external drive to get more space to save the backup or save the backup to another storage media.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 2, 2015 10:08 AM
  • To GuuCKg: Thanks for your  information.  -Rayfrid
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 12:54 AM