Devices not working (Code 10) after upgrading version of vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I just bought a Fujitsu laptop preloaded with Vista Buisness. Yesterday, I upgraded it to Enterprise which was preloaded with SP2, after which, the bluetooth, cd drive, fingerprint reader, usb, and iee 1394 devices stoped working. I checked device manager and under device status for all the above except the disc drive, it said "device could not start. Code 10 error". The cd drive status said "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". I tried updating the drivers and windows said "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date". I also tried going into the registry and deleting the upper and lower filters for the disc drive and rebooting but that didn't work either.

Also, my battery is not charging. When I mouse over the battery icon on my toolbar it says "(plugged in, not charging)".

I also tried using Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services 1.0. It tried to uninstall and then reinstall updates for all of the drivers, but the reinstallation of the updates failed.

Any ideas for how I could fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • Edited by astoria45 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:00 PM removed a problem from list
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your update.

The battery isn't charging, the issue may be due to bad battery. Here I would like to share some common methods. If the issue persists, I recommend that you contact manufacturer to replace the battery to see if it works.

To move on, first let unplug the battery and plug it back to see if it works.

1. Shut down your computer and unplug the battery from the wall.

2. Wait for a while and plug in the battery to the wall and see if it works.

Meanwhile, I would like to share a similar thread with you.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/f06a5bae-0caf-4eae-ae56-1aec1e1291e6

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, July 24, 2009 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

In common, if the device is installed with incorrect driver or the device driver is corrupted. Windows can't start the device, then it generate error code 10 and code 31. To troubleshoot this kind of issue, we usually take the following steps.

1.   Contact your manufacturer to obtain the latest Windows Vista compatible drivers.

2.   Install the latest Windows Service Pack, please refer to the following website.

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791   

3.   Use Windows Update to install the latest updates. To do this, please follow the website as follow.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate   

By the way, I recommend you use Event Viewer to determine any driver initialization failures. This is significant because the Zune driver depends on other Windows services, such as WPDClassInstaller and WPD-MTPClassDriver, to start successfully. To do this, follow these steps:

1)   On Windows Vista, click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type eventvwr.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2)   On Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.exe, and then press ENTER.

3)   In the console tree, expand Windows Logs, and then select System.

4)   In the details pane, look for warnings or errors on driver initialization events.

5)   Double-click the event that you want to view.

6)   For more information about the error, click Event Log Online Help. If you want more help with Windows services, contact the manufacturer of the computer.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:21 AM
  • I have allready tried uninstalling drivers and replacing them with current ones from Fujitsu and I have tried using the recovery drivers disk; neither work. I already have sp2 installed, as well as all the latest updates. I believe the problem is related to the USB Composite Device is failing to work properly. Other than that, I have no ideas.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:58 PM
  • I reinstalled vista enterprise loaded the drives on the recovery disk.  That took care of all the devices except for the battery.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

The battery isn't charging, the issue may be due to bad battery. Here I would like to share some common methods. If the issue persists, I recommend that you contact manufacturer to replace the battery to see if it works.

To move on, first let unplug the battery and plug it back to see if it works.

1. Shut down your computer and unplug the battery from the wall.

2. Wait for a while and plug in the battery to the wall and see if it works.

Meanwhile, I would like to share a similar thread with you.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/f06a5bae-0caf-4eae-ae56-1aec1e1291e6

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, July 24, 2009 3:40 AM