none
Bitlocker Windows 10 Password and Recovery Key not working after new install of windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I know my password and have a copy of my recovery key for my hard drive.  I ran into an issue with my computer and had the computer store install a fresh copy of windows 10.  I had Windows 10 prior (Not sure if same version of 10).   My Password and my Recovery Keys are not working for the drive. 
    Monday, November 14, 2016 2:38 AM

All replies

• I have seen this.

The probable explanation and solution is: update windows to the latest version of 10, the one that you had before at least. With the original version (v10240), we cannot decrypt or unlock drives that were encrypted with v1511 or v1607. That is because v1511 has introduced a new encryption algorithm: XTS-AES which is the new default. XTS-AES cannot be unlocked on win10 v10240, nor on win8.1, nor on win7.

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, windows 10 has a new encryption algorithm after v1511, you need to update windows 10 to the latest version and check the result.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:58 AM
  • How do I update windows 10 when I am not able to open my drive since the recovery key is not working? Thanks. 
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:59 PM
  • You say you reinstalled Win10, so we assume that it is booting alright. I understood that the drive you are trying to open is not your boot drive but your data drive. Ain't that the case?

If it is like I assume it is, you can simply determine your version using the command

winver

and if it does not show 1607 as version, you visit https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 to ninitiate the upgrade to the latest version.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:38 PM