none
Server stops answering suddently

Question

• Hey

I have just installed a brand new HP ML110 G6 server with 10 Gb og Ram.
    I have intalled Small Business Server 2011 standard on the server.
    My problem is that one ore two times pr every 24 hours, the server just stop responding.
    I cannot get a RDP session to the server. When i try to connect by the ILo interface is sayes that the server is in standby mode.

When this issue occur the harddrive led is lightning all the time. The only thing i can do is to turn off the power to the server and start it again. In the Eventviewer i can see the when this issue is happening i got an Kernel Power event error. But nothing else.

The server is running fine, and is it not running dry from memmory.
    I have limited the use of memmory on the SQL server instance.
    And i have also upgraded the server to the latest firmware.

Iss there anyone that know how to resolve this issue, ore maybe some off you have seen this behaviour before.

Best Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Does this happen when people are working or when no one is busy. It sounds to me like the server or network adapter is going in to power saving mode. Can you check if power settings is enabled on your network adapter and what power savings scheme your server is using.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hi Ronny

The issue happends both when users are logged on to the server. And when the users are not logged in. It can happend in the midle off the day, and in the middle of the night. Power saving is enabled on the network adapter. The power scheme is called Balanced ( Recomended ).

REgards

Peter

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Start with disabling power saving on the network adapter.

When it freezes can you logon to the console so directly on the server and control it?

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Hi again

When it freezes there in no VGA ore mouse and keybord.
    I can only turn the server off, and on again.
    I have disabled the power saving on the netcard.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Is there any thing else there could be worng with the server.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:34 PM
  • I have the exact same fault... we bought an ML110 G6 about 2 months ago and eventually installed it for our customer 3 weeks ago. It is an ML110 G6 with SBS 2008 and 6GB RAM, also a Smart Array P212 disk controller.

Within a day the server had hung and we had to reset it, no help in the event log. By the next day the same had happened overnight. We spoke to HP and ran various diagnostics (HP Offline Insight Diagnostics) looping for days but no errors and no crash - while booted off the HP CD.

If you change the power settings when in windows so the screen stays on you will see nothing except the mouse stops responding... infact everything stops but there is nothing interesting happening.

After getting nowhere with HP we bought a replacment ML110 G6 and installed the same RAM and storage controller and guess what.... same problem.

I took the new server we bought back to our office and with just the 1GB of RAM it shipped with and the single 250GB SATA disk installed installed Server 2008 R2 and the latest HP drivers/firmware. It ran completely stable... we put in the 3x 2GB memory modules in (a configuration supported by HP) and the thing strated crashing again.

Also found out that if you load up the CPU it crashes very much faster... like 5 mins. It doesn't do this with a single 2GB memory module, but of the 3 2GB modules we have any work fine on their own. We got entirely new RAM from HP (same part number but different manufacturer) and still with 4GB or more RAM installed it crashes quickly... especially under load.

I used the free tool LinX which is a frontend for Intel's Linpack Stability Test program to load up the server (CPU and Memory stress tool) and it just falls over in the same way but in a few minutes.

HP keep saying have you tried the latest firmware like parrots which isn't helpful. Since this appears to be the same in SBS 2008 (Windows Server 2008 x64) and a base Windows Server 2008 R2 but doesn't happen booted off the HP Easy Start CD (a linux boot disk) It's got to be a windows / driver issue but I have been left stumped and now with 2 servers with the same fault despite slightly different OS's.

• Edited by GraemeEvans Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:30 PM because I can't type!
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Oh, and also ran the SBS BPA and followed all advice... no difference
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Hey

I am very glad to hear that there is others, that have the same problem. But it is very critical that HP doesnt recorgnice

that there servers have some sort of a problem. But how can ve move on, i dont know what to do.
    Is there anybode other how might have an idea on how to get rid off this problem?

Best regards
    Peter

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

If the problem is caused both on the same HP server, maybe what you can try is stop all HP services and set them to disable and see if this may help.

Have you update software, drivers and firmware to the latest versions?

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I am hoping to get a chance tomorrow to test with individual drivers, I will start with just the Server OS (it will be Windows 2008 R2 and SP1) and work up. I'll post how it goes. 
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:52 PM
  • I re-installed the server and didn't get to installing any HP software, just Server 2008 R2 with SP1, nothing else and it froze on me. 
    Friday, May 13, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Another possibility, if Graeme and Peah are working with the same HP server with the same specs, or even very similiar specs is that the servers have too little memory, coupled with some as yet undiscovered memory leak and are just exhausting all available resoures.  This has the same effect as your automobile running out of gas or the flashlight batteries wearing out:  the metal is there, but there is no activity.

IMO, HP 110 with 6 GB RAM is on the light side for SBS 2008.

However, as Graeme points out that non SBS testing shows that pushing the CPU outside of Windows produces the same, or similiar symptoms, I wonder if it could be thermal managment.  A busy CPU should just take longer to cycle the requested processes, not fall over.  But if it is overheating, Intel processors are (or were, last time I looked) designed to slow down rather than fail.  If the thermal mangement is faulty it might be that the CPU simply gives up and shuts itself down rather than melt.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 11:10 AM
  • As far as not having enough memory, my experience is quite the opposite, if I reduce the RAM in the server to 3GB or less it is 100% stable. Nothing I can do causes it to hang. 

IMO, that server has currently been reduced to 3GB as it stops it crashing.... and both (yes, only 2) users are happy for the moment....

I have checked over the cooling, and re-fitted the cpu, but all appears well. The CPU cooler is a reasonable heat pipe type cooler and nothing seems very hot.

Friday, May 13, 2011 11:23 AM
  • All firmware is upto date, the FW 9.30 disk says nothing needs updating, but I checked individual components against the wesbite anyway as they are usually released more frequently than the CD/DVD compilations.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 11:27 AM
  • Hmmm.... does that server require some pairs or triplets of DIMMs, and all the same size, and is that the case in both configurations, 3 GB/6GB?  Could one of the DIMMs, or one of the slots be defective?
    Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hey and thanks for the answer to this thread.

I have 10 GB off ram in the server. And as far as i remeber my server also worked fine, with just 3GB off ram.
    So maybe there is a memmory issue, from HP on the mainboard in general.
    I will try to contact HP Support and tell them that there are others that have a problem with this server.

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:43 AM
  • I have similar problem, 12gb of RAM, Server has run for up to 8 days, recently updated & restarted then halted after 36 hours halted, you may be onto something with the amount of memory.  We are running SBS 2011.

I will also contact HP Support to report issue, it appears to be a hardware issue.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hey again

I think and hope now that my problem is solved. My server have now been online for 3 hole dayes now.
    Before it restarted several times a day.

I have call a local HP Service Provider, and ordred them to replace powersupply, and mainboard, on the HP Warranty program.
    And now the server is working just fine, with the 10GB of ram.

So i think that there could be some memmory issues on some off the mainboard, in this product line.

I hope that my solution can bennefit, some off you that also have the problem.

Best regards Peter

Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

I have a client with the exact same problem with an ML110 G6 on SBS2008. Same crash as described above. HP have changed motherboard memory processor raid controller and 1 of the HDD. Only thing left is the powersupply. This arrives tomorrow. Such a strange problem as the OS shows no sign of any issues.

Hopefully ths fustration of this ongoing issue will be resolved soon :)

Regards,

Daniel

Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:06 AM
  • IF ilo doesn't responds HP should look into the same as that has nothing relevant to OS install. What I am assuming is that this is a hard hang and basically nothing responds.
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:17 AM
  • 2 things happen. The most common one (90% of the time) is a complete freeze. The mouse moves but you cant click anything. Only way to restart is to hold power button. All the lights on the front of the server go solid green. The other crash (10% of the time) is a sudden shutdown and hard reboot.
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Does keyboard responds with CAPSLOCK on and off when you press it or NUMLOCK? With all above post did you tried ronny suggestions? Best is check for latest updated drivers from HP install them  and have a complete a full hardware diagnostic test from them.
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:36 AM
  • For info this was CPU fault with the G6950, HP replaced it, but it took 3 weeks as they had no stock... hmm wonder why!!!. Odd that it didn't fault with less RAM but hey, silicon faults can do odd things.
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:33 AM
  • I used to have this problem it turn out to be the version of the motherboard, should be the latest version at C not A. And a memory conflict.

I added Kingston memory to the 2gb that came with the server, Kingston added 2gb and two 4gb for a total of 12gb.

After diagnosing it was discovered that with the C version of the motherboard (newer) it would not even boot with the 12gb.

So we left only two sticks of Kingston 4gb and everything has been stable up for over 30 days.

My other problem was not related to this issue but I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501318 and everything is fine.

Rolando Comas
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Pretty much the same story for me here except that I was using 4Gb of Kingston RAM (2x2Gb).  The server would invariably freeze after a few seconds of MemTest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic and after a few minutes (-+15 to 60 mins) of running SiSoft Sandra in "burn-in" mode.

After several diagnostics and firmware updates to latest versions (without any success) with HP tech support I finally found the solution on my own.

For me the fix was to put the memory sticks in slot 1 and 2 instead of slot 1 and 3 as would suggest the color coding and usual dual channel configuration.

So the issue seems to be some kind of motherboard/CPU conflict.  I could not confirm if that would work with more than 4Gb of RAM and more than 2 slots in use.

Frank

Regards

Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:13 PM