none
Using the MS Authenticator on multiple devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am wondering how do I configure the MS Authenticator App on multiple iphones? I have MS Authenticator set up and functioning on my primary iphone, but I would like to use it on my older iphone as a back up, is this possible for all the 2FA accounts I am using? I did set it up for my Microsoft account for 2 phones (so I do have the App installed on 2 devices) and it seems to have both in Sync and works, but I am concerned about other accounts. These are banking accounts and I just don't get how the syncing on each phone works? Could I add as many devices as I wanted?

I really appreciate your diligence and support!

Thanks, Nick

Sunday, August 6, 2017 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

Microsoft Authenticator app support configure Microsoft accounts (personal account) to multiple devices.

But for security purposes, MFA does not support for work or school account with multiple devices. It is a by design behavior.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by ShuiShengbao Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:47 AM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

is there any official document stating this by-design behavior related to work/school accounts?

Thanks!

Friday, October 27, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi Pyjo,

Sorry, I can't find any official document about it, but I have test it several times, work or school account does not support multiple devices.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 30, 2017 6:24 AM
  • If you load cortana on all of your devices and set it to show notifications across your devices, you can acknowledge the multifactor notifications/view code from the other devices.  I do this today for my work azure MFA.  Basically, I have the azure mfa application on my phone along with Cortana.  When I get the notifications on my phone, they also pop up on my cortana on my surface pro 3.  Not perfect, but maybe this will work for you.

Monday, October 30, 2017 1:15 PM
  •  for work or school account with multiple devices ,will the design be changed on some days

delaynomore.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:08 AM
    • Edited by A4E5L Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:28 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:27 PM
  • Ok so don't know if people are still trying to set this up- or whether MS still 'don't support' setting up the ms authenticator for one account across multiple devices- but i have managed to set it up in a round about way that probably shouldn't have worked if the above is accurate.

scenario assumes you already have it setup and working on one of your devices:

step 1- setup authenticator on the secondary device.

step 2- for those admins out there, you need to disable MFA on the account and then re-enable.

step 3- now add work account via the plus symbol in ms authenticator on your secondary device (do not make any changes to the authenticator on your primary device).

step 4- scan the QR code and follow the prompts to verify activation.

Now sign out of your account in a browser and re-login- do this twice and try the code from authenticator on your primary and secondary device. They will be different but both seem to be accepted.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't expand this process to a third device if you needed to, personally wouldn't suggest going over two. I don't know whether MS have enabled this a feature recently or if this is a workaround. Either way.

• Proposed as answer by SysRad Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:37 AM
  • It looks like there's now a process for this, linked to not receiving notifications, so presumably you have to manually refresh the app to pickup the authentication request...

I've not tested this!

https://blog.ciaops.com/2019/01/15/using-multiple-authenticator-apps-with-a-single-microsoft-365-user-account/

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:23 AM
  • In late 2018, Microsoft added support for multiple authenticator apps to be linked to a MFA enabled user (push notications are sent to multiple devices).

To add a second device, just run the MFA setup again: https://aka.ms/MFASetup

Hope this helps others :)

Kurt.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:05 PM
  • Where do I check the QR code that you've mentioned under Step 4? 
    Tuesday, October 27, 2020 1:33 PM