none
Problems with VM Workstation and MDT Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I use VM Workstation to develop and test deploy images. Everything has always worked fine until I recently upgraded to VM Workstation Pro 14. When test deploying a Windows 10 image everything seems to go just fine until the final reboot and it begins to display the setup messages and then the video gets all skewed. Once it gets to the desktop I can load some VM drivers and the video gets fixed. However these drivers I load do not contain video drivers. I have attempted to load the VM drivers in the task sequence but that has not helped.

I am using the same task sequence and drivers that I always had for VMs, the only difference is going from Workstation 12 to 14. I also tried the latest drivers from VM tools 10.2 but no luck there either. I would load an image but I see no link to do so.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:46 PM

All replies

• Weird. I upgraded to VMware Workstation 14 as a customer of mine needs a VMware based virtualization solution to build ref images for Horizon Cloud. The only drivers I am injecting are the ones from the VMware tools package - I am yet to see the issues you are running into. Tested with W7 and W10 (1703/1709). How are you injecting the drivers during the TS?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:16 PM
  • I was thinking. I created the new image after upgrading to Workstation 14 so that any drivers needed by Workstation VMs should already be on the image. So I am unsure what is happening. Manually I copied the driver files over and use dpinst.exe to load the drivers. The drivers only contain the vm nic and disk drivers yet the screen immediately returns to normal. During the TS I have these drivers loaded as any drivers would be per hardware model and never had an issue prior to this.

If I could load an image you would see the upper left corner of the screen push to the upper right corner and the lower right corner pushed to the lower left making the left edge of the screen diagonal from lower left ot upper right. This of course stretches the screen and text so that is nearly unreadable.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:10 PM
  • I ended up extracting all the drivers from the latest VM tools and injecting them during the task sequence and that fixed the video issue for Workstation 14.
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:03 PM
  • I ended up extracting all the drivers from the latest VM tools and injecting them during the task sequence and that fixed the video issue for Workstation 14.

Which brings me back to my original point - you need to inject VMware drivers during OSD :)

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:11 PM