Additional White Spaces in Grouping RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am working on Invoice Report. I've Description, Serial and Note in Group. I'm having an issue with Additional White Space. In some description of the item, I'm getting 3 to 4 lines of white space. And I guess this happens to the Item with serial number. So if Item having 2 quantity with 2 serial number, it appears perfect with all grouping sequence. Like, Item_Code, qty, [ desc - First line, (serialno1, serialno2) - under description, Note - under serialno2]. But Description is adding 2 -3 lines of white space. I've tried looking for that. and it works perfectly. just not removing the space. and I'm not sure how does that turned on.

any ideas, please share with me.

Thanks a lot.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:53 PM

All replies

• You could try LTRIM(RTRIM([Description])) in SQL view/stored procedure in report dataset
    Sergei
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Thanks Sergie T for your reply.

I tried that. dint work. 

It's really strange. if there is 1 serial number for an item, no white space in description. but if it has 4 serial number for item, there is almost 4 lines of white space for that description,

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I figured out the problem. I've used Tablix for gettting Grouping for showing item_code, description and so on. I grouped all the data fields and left one column empty because tablix requires atleast 1 column. and because of that one column, I'm getting that space for more than 1 serial number as grouping field.

so I left a column in tablix because it has to have atleast 1 column (column without Group). And I made it invisible. so we cant see the column without any data. and i found this side way and dint think that it will be the big problem. 

so i've sequence, item_code, (desc, serial_no, note as 1 parent and 2 child group), qty , price, amount. all these are groups. is this the way to get invoice data in proper format? or i am missing soemthing. Doing SSRS first time. so not sure that I'm doing right or not.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Hi Cool Mind,

You need to check for char(10) and char(13) in the column [Description] and replace if needed

SELECT CASE WHEN CHARINDEX(char(13), '',1) > 0 THEN REPLACE([Description], char(13), '')

ELSE [Description] END AS [Description]

FROM dbo.[yourTableName]

Do the same for chr(10) as above.

Sergei
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Hi Sergei,

Thanks for your reply. 

I got the point causing problem. I've to include atleast 1 column with other group in tablix. so the last column (which is Not group) is repeating 4 times if there are 4 serial numbers. so is there any way I can show column only 1 time.

Seq Item_Code Item_Desc Qty Price Amount

Gr1 Gr2 Gr3 Gr4 Gr5 Column

--------

Serial_No

Gr6

---------

Note

Gr7

So if there are 4 serial_no, the column amount is repeating 4 times. it doesn't have any value, but it's giving 4 column space for item_desc, seq, item_code all these groups.

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Hi Cool Mind,

I would have two tablix controls

• Summary section - Seq Item_CodeItem_Desc QtyPrice Amount with Sum(Qty), Sum(Amount) and grouping on those columns  (add page break on the first tablix)
    • Details section - Seq, Item_Code, Item_Desc, QtyPrice, Amount, Serial_No, Note (no grouping)

It should satisfy all accounting needs.

Sergei
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Good Morning.

Two tablix control? Please explain some more. I'm kinda newbie with this.

Thanks,

Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:19 PM