none
Longest Retention colides with Shorter Retention RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed some odd behavior with DPM2010 since I set up my long-term recovery goals for Tape.  Here is the setup (customized).

Goal 1:  Backup Every 1 week, Retention 8 weeks, 1 backup copy, Label: Remote Office Data-Weekly

Goal 2:  Backup every 4 weeks, Retention 156 weeks, 1 backup copy, Label: Remote Office Data-Monthly

**OPTION: Run backup only for the recovery goal with the longest retention range  - CHECKED

Backup Schedule: Every 1 Week: Fri 11:00PM  :::  Every 4 Weeks: Fri 11:00PM

The very first week out of the gate, both Goals attempted to run at 11PM on that first Friday night after the PG was configured.  Consequently, DPM threw a bunch of warnings that the jobs for Goal #1 could not be run because there were other jobs running (for Goal #2).

The following 2 Friday nights, the tape was run for Recovery Goal #1 successfully.  The 4th Friday night, no tape backup ran at all... no errors... simply no jobs to tape were scheduled or run.  

This past Friday night, which would be Friday #5, both Goals attempted to run a tape backup at 11PM again.  Again, DPM threw warnings that Goal #1 jobs had failed because another job was running.

My intention with this set up is to create a weekly backup that runs every week.  This tape is to be retained for 8 weeks.  Every 4th week, a "monthly" job should run in place of the weekly backup.  This tape should be retained for 156 weeks (3 years).

So the schedule should produce something like this:  Weekly, Weekly, Weekly, Monthly, Weekly, Weekly, Weekly, Monthly, Weekly(first tape is now overwriteable), etc. etc.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:55 PM

Answers

• Change your secondary recovery-goal from using weeks to using Months and also use a third recovery-goal for your year backups

example:

RG2: Backup every 1 Months, retention 12 Months

RG3: Backup every 1 year, retention 3 years

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by DBruceM2 Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:12 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Change your secondary recovery-goal from using weeks to using Months and also use a third recovery-goal for your year backups

example:

RG2: Backup every 1 Months, retention 12 Months

RG3: Backup every 1 year, retention 3 years

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by DBruceM2 Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:12 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply.  I made the changes to my protection group, however now it would appear that a Monthly tape never runs.  I made the change during the first 2 weeks of April (shortly after your post).

Since then, the weekly job has run every week, but no Montly job has run since the change.  The last Monthly tape that I have is from the first weekend in April. (about 7 or 8 weeks ago).  Weekly tapes have run every week without fail.

Here are the settings that I have for Long-Term recover goals: 

Backup Frequency: Customized

RG1:  1 recover point every 1 week for the last 4 weeks

RG2:  1 recovery point every 1 month for the last 36 months

Option:  Run backup only for the recovery goal with the longest retention range

Schedule: 

Weekly backup time 11:00PM Saturday   (Every 1 Week:  Sat 11:00PM)

Monthly backup time 11:00PM on Day 1  (Every 1 Month: Day 1, 11:00PM)

I'm sure I'm just over-thinking this, or I have mis-understood these schedules.  Any additional help you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:38 PM
  • It would appear that the tape backup schedule is finally working as it should.  DPM finally made a Monthly tape last night (June 1).  This was the first monthly tape in 2 months.  I still don't know why it skipped the monthly tape for May... perhaps it was because I made an adjustment to Long Term backup schedules in mid-April.

Anyway, I think I can finally put this one to bed.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:12 PM