none
Imaging RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a win 2012 R2 Server with only deployment services and file server roles.

It is currently not on our domain.

First off, I setup the server 2012 just to be able to create the image, does that mean the image and files etc are going to be tied to this specific server or can I move everthing to another server once testing is completed?

Currently I have several images that I use for imaging in our corporate environment and all works as it should (Through powershell scripting).

However, now I want to be able to deploy images with specific software on them (although I'm having a hard time figuring out the silent install script for ArcGIS).

Right now, when deploying windows images to machines, I can choose the OS and weather to inject drivers or not (we have nearly 40GB of drivers on one of our servers).

The image I'm trying to create could go on any machine in our organization, but I cannot figure out, in the deployment toolkit, how to allow drivers for "any" system to be installed.  I do not want to take an image of an existing computer because I wont necessarily want the same machine for deployment.

I have already imported the windows 7 .wim file and put ms office in the applications.  I still need to be able to get ArcGis and all possible drivers into the image.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Terry

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:01 PM

All replies

• What I did for my organization is to create the base image with all the Service Packs and any applications that every system would get on a HyperV instance, captured from that and use that for the Production Machines.

So when I image the machine I inject only the drivers needed for that machine and then any applications specific to the role the machine is going to in the organization.  It allows for minimal Windows updates needed on Production Machines and imaging is faster.

Take a look at this, http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management .

Read the posts on that site and you will have a much easier time getting started.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:35 PM