none
Reboot Stop/Check RRS feed

• Question

• When rebooting, Windows will at times do a stop check to advise that some program has not responded and ask if you want to force the shutdown or wait for a response.  I have an application that I want to have shutdown cleanly prior to the OS shutdown or reboot.

Is there something that I can execute from a script that will bar Windows from continuing shutdown until the script has completed?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We could use registry to automatically close apps while restarting Windows 10. Before we edit the registry, it's recommended to create a restore point, in case there are something wrong with your system.

To create a system restore point and restore from a system restore point, please refer to: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

To automatically close apps while restarting, please check:

How to automatically close apps while restarting Windows 10?

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

with powershell you can stop a running application process before you perform a shutdown. 

You can do this with Stop-Process -name chrome.exe -force

Where chrome.exe is the target application which you want to stop. You can put this into a PS-Script and create a scheduled Task to run always when you shutdown your system.

Here is the official ms-doc further details regarding parameters, etc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.management/stop-process?view=powershell-6

regards, patrick

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:35 AM
  • I realize now that the framing of my question may not have been clear.  I have an application that I am causing to be stopped when I shutdown/reboot Windows.  I am trying to ensure a clean stop to the application prior to Windows continuing to shutdown/reboot itself.  Currently, though my application begins its end processing, Windows continues its own shutdown and leaves me with lock files - due to the application failing to complete its own termination.

What I am trying to do is invoke a stop/check in Windows that bars it from continuing to shut itself down until the application has completed its own end processing (closing its DBs, releasing locks to other machines, etc.).

We are using Powershell to invoke the application close already, but Windows often continues too quickly and clobbers the completion...

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:36 PM