none
DPM 2012 Agent Network Throttling BMR RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a DPM 2012 Server installed on a physical server which i get the most backups for our SQL's , Sharepoint and Hyper-V infrastructure.I installed the agent on a virtual machine in a remote Site A and i planned a BMR backup for the virtual machine. The agent throttling was enabled for non working hours 9AM-6PM with 256 kbps but as i monitored on network the QoS policy doesnt work. After a little search in MS library i found that DPM "Does not support throttling for bare metal recovery" . 

So, does anyone has an idea how to get a BMR with network throttling on a remote Site with bandwidth limitations ?

Thanks ,

Dim Stam

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hi DimSta,

You may try to use QOS between the 2 sites (Routers).

If you are protecting data over a wide area network (WAN), there is a minimum network bandwidth requirement of 512 kilobits per second (Kbps).

DPM Network requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399051

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi DimSta

Bandwidth Throttling is a network related feature controlled by QOS that gets applied on DPMRA.

Bare Metal Recovery backups are using WSB (Windows Server Backup), so the rule applied for bandwidth throttling on DPMRA won’t be applied on WSB.

One solution is having a new DPM server on remote site A for BMR protection of yours VMs and use your DPM 2012 as secondary protection using Network Bandwidth Usage Throttling.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Proposed as answer by Stephane LADUNE Friday, July 27, 2012 9:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DimSta Friday, July 27, 2012 12:26 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hi Stephane and thanks for you reply,

It's not possible to have a secondary DPM server on Site A lack of resources (Physical-Virtual) .

Thanks

DimSta

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Hi DimSta,

You may try to use QOS between the 2 sites (Routers).

If you are protecting data over a wide area network (WAN), there is a minimum network bandwidth requirement of 512 kilobits per second (Kbps).

DPM Network requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399051

Stephane

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:33 PM