none
How to switch to use Sharepoint online 2016 instead of Sharepoint online 2013

Question

• Hi

Someone told me Sharepoint online 2016 is launched and can be use for O365 Sharepoint user. 

however, when I logged on the xx@onmicrosoft.com, it just let me have the Sharepoint 2013. How can I switch it to Sharepoint 2016...

Thanks

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:19 AM

Answers

• There is no SharePoint Online 2016 version. It is just SharePoint Online. SharePoint Online does not get updated every three year like on-premises server products but instead gets updated frequently with latest patches and features and your tenant will get the update as per the schedule. I assume you might be getting confused with SharePoint Server 2016 which is on-premises version. 

Having said that SharePoint online has option to turn on the preview features. You can enable this feature from SharePoint Online Administration Settings (/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx). New document library changes have been rolled out to customers who opted for preview features.

Preview features have limited support in SharePoint Online and do not yet meet all service requirements. A full list of the Preview features and support details can be found at the O365 website. 

I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:26 AM

All replies

• There is no SharePoint Online 2016 version. It is just SharePoint Online. SharePoint Online does not get updated every three year like on-premises server products but instead gets updated frequently with latest patches and features and your tenant will get the update as per the schedule. I assume you might be getting confused with SharePoint Server 2016 which is on-premises version. 

Having said that SharePoint online has option to turn on the preview features. You can enable this feature from SharePoint Online Administration Settings (/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx). New document library changes have been rolled out to customers who opted for preview features.

Preview features have limited support in SharePoint Online and do not yet meet all service requirements. A full list of the Preview features and support details can be found at the O365 website. 

I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:26 AM
  • I think you might have misunderstood, or the person talking to you may have.

SharePoint Online doesn't have a 2013 and 2016 mode. Most of the enhancements in 2016 have already been around in SharePoint Online for months or years. You don't get a 'SharePoint Online 2013' or 'SharePoint Online 2016' they don't exist. There is only 'SharePoint Online'.

You can download Office 2016, but that's different.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Hi

But tried.. https://mydomaininame.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx

403 FORBIDDEN

Thanks

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:40 AM
  • You're missing the -admin bit of the URL.

https://mydomaininame-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:42 AM
  • In the sharepoint admin centre under site collectsion it lists the version for each site collection.  I have an E3 subscription which comes with SharePoint Online Plan 2, yet in the "version" of the site collection it says 2013...  Is this going to say 2016 one day? or as a sharepoint online user are we going to have to upgrade to 2016, or do we not have to concern ourselves with upgrading?
    Friday, July 15, 2016 1:43 AM