none
Creating project templates RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create project templates and have it available for the team to use it?
    Friday, February 9, 2018 8:58 PM

All replies

• NaveenBa --

Yes, it sure is possible, and it is also strongly recommended that you create enterprise template for your PMs to use.  To create the enterprise template, launch Microsoft Project and connect to Project Online.  Open an existing progress or create an entirely new one.  Modify the project until it is ready to be saved as a template.

To save the project as an enterprise template, click File > Save As and then click the Save button on the Save As page in the Backstage.  In the Save to Project Web App dialog, enter a name for the template that everyone can easily recognize.  Then click the Type pick list and select the Template Item (VERY IMPORTANT STEP).  In the bottom half of the dialog, pre-populate any enterprise Project fields as needed, and then click the Save button.  When the save job is complete, close the project.

To create a new project from the template, your PMs will need to click File > New and then click the Enterprise link in the upper left corner of the New page.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, February 9, 2018 10:05 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the response. i couldn't get to this

"click File > Save As and then click the Save button on the Save As page in the Backstage.  In the Save to Project Web App dialog, enter a name for the template that everyone can easily recognize.  " any screen shots that you can share?

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:40 PM
  • NaveenBa --

What do you mean, "I couldn't get to this"?  You need to do these steps in Microsoft Project.  Are you using Microsoft Project Professional?  And did you create the Project Online login account in Microsoft Project Professional?  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Thanks Dale, i was able to create the template following the steps above. thanks much.
    Friday, February 23, 2018 8:40 PM
  • Hi Dale,

thanks for the great support as i learn through this set up.

Follow up question, how do we set up permissions

1. so only few members can edit,

2. make it visible to certain groups/departments

3.hide from the rest of the organization. is this possible?

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:24 AM