none
MDT 2012 Toggle Multicast On And Off At Will? RRS feed

• Question

• Since multicast is so much slower than our normal deployment, it is more of a problem than it is worth unless we are doing more than a handful of computers simultaneously.

Can we disable it without having to update the deployment share and recreate boot media each time?

We would rather just keep it off normally and when we have many to do and then turn it off again when the large group of PCs is complete.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:22 PM

Answers

• Oh, I see. Never mind I misread. Anyway, you should be able to just uncheck the box in MDT for multicast and not need to recreate the boot media. I looked at the LiteTouch xml file and the Settings.xml (which is where the multicast setting is located) is not copied into the boot media. So no need to update it just for that one change. No it's not automatic, but it'll do what you want.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Friday, May 2, 2014 9:18 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 3:47 PM

All replies

• How many do you image at a time? You might not need multicast at all, but if you do need it try: Scheduled-Cast. This option sets the start criteria for the transmission based on the number of clients that are requesting an image and/or a specific day and time.

Then you can have multicast only kick in when enough clients at once are requesting an image.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:49 PM
  • We would be imaging a laptop charging cart full of 30 laptops at once.
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:40 PM
  • How many do you image at a time? You might not need multicast at all, but if you do need it try: Scheduled-Cast. This option sets the start criteria for the transmission based on the number of clients that are requesting an image and/or a specific day and time.

Then you can have multicast only kick in when enough clients at once are requesting an image.

Won't that just cause the machines to sit doing nothing until the required number of clients connect before the deployment starts?

I don't see how it would automatically change between unicast and multicast on the fly.

If it can do that, that would be great, but I can't find anything that says that is part of the functionality..

Friday, May 2, 2014 12:49 AM
  • Oh, I see. Never mind I misread. Anyway, you should be able to just uncheck the box in MDT for multicast and not need to recreate the boot media. I looked at the LiteTouch xml file and the Settings.xml (which is where the multicast setting is located) is not copied into the boot media. So no need to update it just for that one change. No it's not automatic, but it'll do what you want.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Friday, May 2, 2014 9:18 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Also see my recent post on multicast performance:

http://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/multicasting-with-mdt/

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:48 PM