Simple install application, big problem to start application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

in my system is present APP-V 5.0 SP2.
    I own a simple application consists of 2 folders that should be copied to C:\. To launch the application you need to run a script that runs 2 exe in the folders.
    In practice:
    C:\Folder1
    C:\Folder2
    C:\Folder1\Boot.cmd

After create the package and have it published, to the launch of boot.cmd I get the error "File not found" in the Boot.cmd window. In practice, Boot.cmd not find the exe that should be found in C:\Folder2.

Ok, launch the powershell and run:
    $MyTest = Get-mom AppvClientPackage "MyTest"
    Start-AppvVirtualProcess-FilePath cmd.exe -AppvClientObject $MyTest

and, from what I knew of the App-V, I can not find the folders Folder1 and Folder2 in C:\.

By opening the package on the sequencer, the folders in C:\ are created and the application works.

Help me ... what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:57 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I found the problem ... but I do not know how to solve.
    For some reason, all package start on the drive D:\ and not in C:\. It seems that the variable AppVPackageDrive tip mistakenly D:\ instead of C:\.
    My packageRoot is D:\APPV5 instead %programdata%\APPV .... is this the problem?

Argh!
    How can I force the variable to use C:\?

Thank you.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:53 PM

All replies

• Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Hello Nicke,

thanks, but after modify now i see a new message window: "C:\Folder2\StartIt.exe" "Windows cannot find 'C:\Foled2\StartIt.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and the try again.

• Edited by BigMax67 Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:26 PM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Hello,

I found the problem ... but I do not know how to solve.
    For some reason, all package start on the drive D:\ and not in C:\. It seems that the variable AppVPackageDrive tip mistakenly D:\ instead of C:\.
    My packageRoot is D:\APPV5 instead %programdata%\APPV .... is this the problem?

Argh!
    How can I force the variable to use C:\?

Thank you.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Hello,

What is packageinstallroot set to?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Hello,

PackageInstallationRoot=D:\APPV5

Some packages start with AppVPackageDrive in D:\ and some in C:\.

All Package have been created always in C:\.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:18 AM
  • To be sure everything goes right?

Set PackageInstallationRoot to where you need it (%Programdata%\App-V is the default), then remove and re-add / publish / (mount) your packages.

I'd consider that the most consistent way of making sure that all your packages are located in C:\Programdata

BUT

The package installation root usually dosn't have a big impact on the App-V application execution.

So, whether it is C:\Programdata\App-V\<PackageGUID>\<VersionGUID>\Root\<VFS>  or

D:\Appv5\<PackageGUID>\<VersionGUID>\Root\<VFS>  mostly does not have any result on whether an application finds its files or not.

The 'PVAD' on the Sequencer machine is more important here and has nothing to do with the PackageInstallationRoot

So, here is what you should try:

On the Sequencer, create a new package. Give it a package name AND use that same name as the Primary Virtual Application Directory:

Name: My_Test_Package_01

PVAD: C:\My_Test_Package_01

Do not use any directory that really exists on the client machine as the Sequencer's PVAD for that test.

Start the monitoring phase: Create your folders C:\Folder1, C:\Folder2; copy your Test.EXE (no cmd, bat, js..) into that folder

end monitoring (I am finished)... continue with sequencing, make sure you create a shortcut to C:\Folder2\Test.exe with the Sequencing wizard or Sequencing (tabbed) Editor. I'd recommend a shortcut on the Desktop for that test

Save, then add, publish the package to a client. Lauch the app.

If that works, try launching your debug.cmd as you did above. You also may have a look onto TMUrgent App-V Manage or LoginConsultants ACDC 2. They both can help you launcihng 'other' apps into a

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:01 PM