Create a list that works like the skills list in MySite RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to create a list in Sharepoint 2007 that works the same way that the skills list in MySite works. Ie it has incremental search, the user can select among the various choices (from another list) and he can easily add items that don't exist in the list yet, in which case they are both added to the skills set that other users can choose among, and to his own skills list.

I recon that I'll involve two lists and I've tried to use the lookup type, but this won't the user add new items easily. Neither does it have incremental search when keying in letters in the field.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Peter

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

As far as I know, the incremental search on a look up column will only kick in when you have more than 20 items in the lookup list.

I'm not sure how you're going to be able to make it easy for them to add to the lookup skill list. Easiest and least troublesome would be to just add a link to the EditForm.aspx:

<a target="_blank" href="http://site/lists/skilllistname/NewForm.aspx">Skill not here? Click here to add it!</a>

The target="_blank" is so that the add new item form is opened in another window. Though... Your initial form will still have to be refreshed which means they'll lose everything they've filled in so far.

Is your lookup column set to allow multiple items select? Because then it's another ball game too.

Sean

May your PC's be fast and your restarts few.

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:16 AM