How to know if cmdlet requires reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am wondering if there is a way to know if the command requires reboot? There are commands when you run them at end they require reboot to complete installation but some of them restart the server automatically? Is there a way to know before running the command if it will require reboot or not?

Monday, September 10, 2018 7:54 AM

All replies

• There are no commands that require a reboot.  What makes you think that?

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:00 AM
  • Hi Jrv,

Thank you for you answer. Example

When I run Add-rdserver with the role name RDS-RD-SERVER it will reboot server automatically but if I run the same command with different role it will not reboot the server and reboot is not required. Same is with domain services role.

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:04 AM
  • That is not "commands".  It is a specific command.  The documentation for the command and the documentation for installing RDS would be where to get the information.

The issue is not PwoerShell.  It is dependent on the subsystem and operation you are performing.  There is no generic answer for your question.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Hi medy,

Thanks for your question.

I agree with jrv's reply.

Just like "add-rdserver" cmdlet, when you run the command to deploy a RDS session deployment. After you installed it, you need to reboot it. If you use GUI to install it, it also need to reboot. So this is irrelevant to the command that needs to be restarted.

Also if you want to run RDS PowerShell deployment scripts, I suggest that you run it on a domain member server. If you run it on the target server, you will receive error messages with regards to restarting the server.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Monday, September 10, 2018 10:03 AM