none
levelling and task spit problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. 1stly thank you to those that have helped me so far.

I have a situation, I have tasks with sub tasks(2 levels) including resources so my project is event driven. So when I use MS project levelling feature to level my resources Ms project will split my task, meaning it will delay the start of some sub task of various task to allow for levelling.

My question is how can I tell MS project to level but make sure that the start time of a the sub tasks within a task is not delayed.

In other words, I want a task to complete without interuption once it is started. Thanks in advance.

Ben

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry i did not understand you from the first time - it's a matter of vocabulary really. What you call subtasks is mostly called by Project Tasks, and what you call tasks are Summary Tasks.

This being said, there is no setting to ensure what you want (I agree that that would be very useful). You can try the following trick to get the result:

- In any task view, insert the column Priority to facilitate what follows

- Give the first task within a summary task a very low priority (say 100)

- Give all other tasks within summary tasks a high priority (say 900)

Now level with Priority, Standard as leveling order.

Greetings,

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In leveling options, Uncheck "Leveling can split tasks"

Greetings,

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Hi thanks. However that option only stop sub tasks from splitting. It doesn't stop a sub task from being delayed until the resource becomes available.

PS: Let me know if you need me to further explain the situation.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry i did not understand you from the first time - it's a matter of vocabulary really. What you call subtasks is mostly called by Project Tasks, and what you call tasks are Summary Tasks.

This being said, there is no setting to ensure what you want (I agree that that would be very useful). You can try the following trick to get the result:

Greetings,

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:19 AM
  • eerrr.. umm, The purpose of leveling is to delay tasks until the resource becomes available so that the resource over-allocation disappears. That's how it works. That's the only thing it can do.

I am struggling to think of what it is that you expect it to do that does not involve delaying the tasks.

However, it definitely will not change/increase the duration of the tasks and change the resource assignments to spread them thinner on some tasks so that they are available for others, if that's what you were hoping for.

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hi thanks for that solution I will try it out. I have just thought of a possible solution and just wondering what you all think about it. I am trying to search for the best solution.

Firstly in leveling options we uncheck "Level manually scheduled task" and then level it. Once we level it I will have a VBA macro that will go through every task summary and make sure the tasks within the task summary does not delay and will start when the previous task finish.

If there are any task within a summary task that are being delayed the VBA macro will correct that by making the delayed task start when it should start. Once every summary task have been amended we run the leveling feature again with the "Level manually scheduled task"left unchecked.

Could this be a possibly good solution?

Monday, November 5, 2012 2:59 PM
  • eerrr.. umm, The purpose of leveling is to delay tasks until the resource becomes available so that the resource over-allocation disappears. That's how it works. That's the only thing it can do.

I am struggling to think of what it is that you expect it to do that does not involve delaying the tasks.

However, it definitely will not change/increase the duration of the tasks and change the resource assignments to spread them thinner on some tasks so that they are available for others, if that's what you were hoping for.

Sure but my goal is to not split the summary task.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Greetings,

Oh Gosh it really work the magic. Wow, I am happy as a clown! I have been stuck with this problem for a few days now!!!!! Thanks Thanks THANKS!
    Monday, November 5, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback!
    Monday, November 5, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Sigh, I have run into some problems again because the solution above works but if I apply it to every other summary task MS project 2010 still split summary task by delaying certain task. I will appreciate more ideas if possible.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:40 PM