"Internal System Error" when refreshing server in 4.5 Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a App-V 4.5 server.  Everything's installed fine and I'm seeing no errors on the server-end.

However, when I attempt to refresh the server from within the client software (I go to the Application Virt. Client, drill down to the Publishing Servers, then right click the server and click "Refresh Server") I get the following error:

"The application Virtualization Client could not update publishing information from the server <SERVER-NAME>.

The Application Virtualization Server has returned an Internal System error.  Report the following error code to your System Administrator.

Error code: 4505CD-1690630A-200001F4"

If I browse to the content directory on the server from the client and double click the Default App OSD file, it launches without a problem.

I've done some searching, but the only stuff I've been able to turn up related to a bug with an earlier version of the software, whereby if a user was a member of over 80 groups, this error would be generated.  This was apparently fixed with an update to the Server Software (version 1308). 

See the entire thread here http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3572022&SiteID=17

This unfortunately doesn't help though as the account I'm using is a member of only about 10 groups plus I've checked my server and according to "Help",  "About App Virt Management Console" I'm on version 4.5.0.1485.

Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this?

Here's the relevant part of the client sftlog.txt (with verbose logging switched on):

[09/29/2008 15:34:29:165 MIME ERR] {tid=6C4:usr=<ACCOUNTNAME>}
    Failure on Desktop Configuration Server request to URL {rtsp://<SERVER-NAME>:554/} with header {Host: <SERVER-NAME>
    Content-Type: text/xml
    } (rc 1690630A-200001F4).

Any help anyone can provide would be very gratefully received

Thanks,

SputterOut

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've managed to sort out the problem ...or at least find a bodge-fix for it!  I don't know whether it'll work for anyone else though:

It seems that my problem lay between the APP-V server and it's SQL database.  In my original configuration I had the APP-V server pointing at a SQL 2005 Enterprise Cluster, which seemed to work fine (in that it all installed OK, and the database itself seemed to appear and have data in it).

After much messing around, I discovered that there were problems even getting the setup to complete if I tried to point to another SQL back-end (I thought I'd try a single server installation of SQL 2005 or even 2000 rather than the cluster).  After some more messing around I found that it the setup would complete when it was set to point to a 2000 MSDE installation on an entirely different server!  Once everything else was set up correctly, it all worked fine.  I've no idea why this would be, but I wonder if this is a bug in the software... I can't really see why else it would solve it.

I'm hoping Microsoft or someone else will come up with a work-around/fix for this, as it's not exactly ideal using an old MSDE as a back-end, but for now (and with the size of the database), currently it's working for me.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received and I hope this is of some use to anyone having similar problems.

Thanks,

SputterOut.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:51 PM

All replies

• Yes. I got the same error and I was also using version 4.5.0.1485.

The sft-server log record:

[2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername>1380 2100 SWGetDCParameter - "Default Provider" Administrator - 5 65535 "::RegQueryValueExW error 2."
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2100 CacheManager::UpdateCache - "Default Provider" Administrator - 5 65535 "Failed to get dc cache timeout (DCCacheTimeout) from registry. Using default: 180"
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2100 SW_DCCache::InitializeCache - "Default Provider" Administrator - 5 65535 "Failed to create DOM instance"
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2100 SWConstructDcRefreshXml - "Default Provider" Administrator - 5 65535 "Unable to get cache."
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2100 RTSPHandlerEx::HandleGetAppList - "Default Provider" Administrator - 5 65535 "Failed to construct <APPLIST>. Status[500]"
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2100 SW_RTSPHandler:Tongue TiedendResponse - "Default Provider" Administrator - 5 65535 "Response: [RTSP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error]"
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2104 SW_RTSPHandler::ReadHeaders - - - - 5 65535 "Socket read error handle [628], error code (0)."
    [2008-09-22 15:10:26.786] <Servername> 1380 2104 SW_ConnectionManager::CloseConnection - - - - 5 65535 "Delete Connection (628)"

I really appreciate if anyone can provide a solution on this.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

I've managed to sort out the problem ...or at least find a bodge-fix for it!  I don't know whether it'll work for anyone else though:

It seems that my problem lay between the APP-V server and it's SQL database.  In my original configuration I had the APP-V server pointing at a SQL 2005 Enterprise Cluster, which seemed to work fine (in that it all installed OK, and the database itself seemed to appear and have data in it).

After much messing around, I discovered that there were problems even getting the setup to complete if I tried to point to another SQL back-end (I thought I'd try a single server installation of SQL 2005 or even 2000 rather than the cluster).  After some more messing around I found that it the setup would complete when it was set to point to a 2000 MSDE installation on an entirely different server!  Once everything else was set up correctly, it all worked fine.  I've no idea why this would be, but I wonder if this is a bug in the software... I can't really see why else it would solve it.

I'm hoping Microsoft or someone else will come up with a work-around/fix for this, as it's not exactly ideal using an old MSDE as a back-end, but for now (and with the size of the database), currently it's working for me.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received and I hope this is of some use to anyone having similar problems.

Thanks,

SputterOut.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Hello,

I just want to add my experience with the very same issue (error 200001F4 while refreshing the server from the client side). I did a test upgrade from the APP-V RC1 through a complete un- and reinstall to the APP-V RTM version in a virtual environment (mapping the productive environment almost 1to1) connecting to a SQLServer2005 data base with no problems. Trying the same in the productive environment results in the issue repeatedly. After lots of testing the problem seams to point to an IIS issue, but that`s not so sure. Anyway, I moved back to the APP-V RC1 version, just to test if maybe the server environment somehow changed anyhow and that worked straight away perfectly well. This might turn out to be a bug within APP-V RTM indeed, however such an old SQL2000 database is not supported by Microsoft so I will have to open a call with them.

Thanks,

Sandro

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Hello,

I didn't know whether you install MSXML6 before App-V server installation. You should double check it on your VAS server.

I found out the root reason for my problem. Because I didn't install MSXML6. Then I get the error. I am not sure whether it's a bug for App-V server installer.

So if you want to upgrade 4.5 beta to RTM by uninstalling 4.5 beta and installing RTM (no matter reuse 4.5 beta DB or create a new one), you will NOT get the message to tell you install MSXML6. It means App-V server installer does not check if MSXML6 has already been installed. The App-V server still can be installed successfully. So you will get internal system error (200001F4) once you try to refresh App-V server from client.

The conclusion is that App-V server does not provide the message to tell you install MSXML6 as long as .NET2.0 and IIS installed on VAS server. however if App-V server is installed for the first time, it will provide such message to let user install .net 2.0, IIS and MSXML6.

The following are some test scenarios:

1.       In a clean environment, install App-V server without MSXML. Result: Get error.

2.       In a clean environment, install App-V server with MSXML. Result: work fine.

3.       In a 4.5 beta environment, uninstall 4.5 beta and install RTM without MSXML6. Result: didn’t get message to tell install MSXML6 during installation, get error.

4.       In a 4.5 beta environment, uninstall 4.5 beta and install RTM with MSXML6. Result: work fine.

i

Saturday, October 11, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Thanks for the hints.  I simply stopped the Virt app service,  installed MSXML6,  started service and error is gone.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:58 PM