none
Media Player Fail

Question

• Windows 7 Home Premium, Media Player 12.0.7601.23930. This happened quite suddenly. Media Player opens blank; no music. Organize/Manage Libraries/Music gets nothing: no response at all. Does not open a Library Locations window.  /Videos, /Pictures, /Recorded TV will open a Library Locations window, but Music will not. I have tried turning off Media Player from Programs and Features and turning it back on, to no avail.

If I click on a music file in Explorer and click Play Selection, it will show up in the library, but MP will not search for music.

I have noticed over the last couple of weeks a seemingly new slow-down when clicking on any Libraries in Explorer; don't know if that's related at all.

Friday, March 30, 2018 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to restore the WMP? 

select Tools > Advanced > Restore Media Library

It is suggested that you can rebuild the database of WMP, go to %localappdata%\microsoft\media player, delete WMP and restart your machine. If it doesn't help, turn off media player from Windows features. As I know, WMP should be uninstall from Windows features rather than Control Panel>programs and features.

You can also open cmd as administrator and run sfc /scannow to fix the corrupted components.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 2, 2018 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I actually already tried Restore Media Library a couple of times. It clears all music and shuts down, but when I open it back up it won't look for new files, even if I tell it to (Organize/Manage libraries/music). I also tried turning off media player from Windows features, but when I reopened it nothing had changed.

I ran sfc/scannow (thanks for the tip), but it said everything was fine.

I don't understand your suggestion, "go to %localappdata%\microsoft\media player, delete WMP".

Monday, April 2, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Here are some steps that you can try:

1.Open WMP, press ALT>help>about to check the version of it.

2.Change a new account to login, seeing if the problem still exists. Go to Control Panel>accounts>add a new account

If the problem doesn't exist on the new user account, then it is possible that your user profile is corrupted, since WMP will stored under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local.

So I suggested on the above post to go to Windows explorer and type the path  %localappdata%\microsoft\media player, then delete them.

Reboot your machine and it will be rebuild.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 2, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Okay, that sounds good, thanks. WMP does not have the problem under another user, so you're right about that. But, just to confirm, I go to the folder that path leads me to and delete ALL the files in it? Or some of them?

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

(Art Cache folder, Cache150439595 folder, Transcoded Files Cache folder, CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb, lastplayed.wpl, and LocalMLS_0.wmdb)

Monday, April 2, 2018 11:43 AM
  • Yes, you can refer to:

https://www.lifewire.com/repair-a-corrupt-wmp-database-2438892

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:42 AM
  • It didn't work. I did the above (%localappdata%\microsoft\media player), deleted the files, and I still get the same thing: "There are no items in your music library. Click Organize, then click Manage libraries to include folders in your library." I do that, but Organize/Manage libraries/Music gets no response. Nada. Organize/Manage libraries/Videos (or Pictures or Recorded TV) opens a Library Location window, but not Music.
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for reply.

What if you change a new account to login?

It is suggested that you can get latest updates installed.

If the above suggestions don't work, it is suggested that you can perform a system restore.

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Thanks, I think you're right.

I have all the latest updates, but that didn't help, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to go through the hassle of a new account or a system restore.  Either that, or stop using Media Player... :-(

Monday, April 9, 2018 1:45 PM
  • If you have any updates, please let me know.

It is really kind of you if you can mark the suggestion as an answer, which is helpful on dealing the issue.

Good luck.

Vivian

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:57 AM
  • dickenstale: it looks like the Music library file itself is corrupt on the affected user profile. You can reset that file by following the instructions at

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-error-library-ms-is-no-longer-working-windows-7/

Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:01 PM