Cipher command returns "Request not supported" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use the cipher command to encrypt a txt file but it doesn't work, it returns: "request is not supported". And I can't find a solution for this.

I'm using windows 10 Home version 1709.

Thanks.

Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi TNDPUSR,

Are you trying to encrypt a file that is placed on an external device? Cipher only supports NTFS.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:45 PM
  • I'm trying to encrypt two txt documents using cmd well known Cipher command but it returns Request not supported.

For reference,

My HDD's file system is NTFS and I've already run sfc /scannow and it is internal disk drive. (System File Checker tool for fixing any corrupt file if any)

Such that all the above has not worked. Please help me in this case.

Monday, April 16, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

I can run this commands well on my 1709 Windows 10 Enterprise.

Please try examples like these:

To use cipher to encrypt a subfolder named May in a folder named MonthlyReports, type:

cipher /e monthlyreports\may

To encrypt the MonthlyReports folder, the January through December subfolders, and the Manufacturing subfolders within the month subfolders, type:

cipher /e /s:monthlyreports

To encrypt only the Marketing.xls file in the May subfolder, type:

cipher /e /a monthlyreports\may\marketing.xls

To encrypt the Marketing.xls file, the Maintenance.doc file, and the Manufacturing subfolder (located in the May folder), type:

cipher /e /a monthlyreports\may\ma\*

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 5:57 AM