none
cannot log in to a converted VM from VMWare RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to convert a VM hosted by VMWare into a hyper-V VM.

I am using Microsoft Virtual Machine converter.

As Hyper-V host server is not member of any domain (and of course not the same domain as the server I am using to convert the VM) I cannot convert the VM directly so I am converting Virtual Hard Drives, It has two drives. The server I am trying to convert is a domain controller. This DC is alone, there is no other DC or member in the Domain it holds.

I succesfully converted the drives, created the virtual machine in the hyper-V host and started the VM. The issue comes when I try to log in the VM, I cannot log in, it always prompts a message warning the password is not correct and I am sure it is not.

What am I missing?

thank you very much

David.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

>>I am trying to convert a VM hosted by VMWare into a hyper-V VM.

There are lots of posts about the issues of converting VMs between different platforms.

It is recommended to install a new VM and migrate the data. It is more stable and could avoid unexpected errors.

Have you uninstalled the VMware tools before the converting?

>> it always prompts a message warning the password is not correct and I am sure it is not

Have you tried with local account?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Saturday, March 5, 2016 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

You'd better create a VM on Hyper-V and configure as DC and transfer all the FSMO roles on it.

As Leo said, have you uninstall the vmware tools? did you tried to logon with a local account?

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Saturday, March 5, 2016 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi Leo and Michael, thank you for your answers.

I would like to go on with those actions, the point is this is a server running an application. I do not know anything about it, how to install it or even if the domain in it is necessary or is being used. It is clear I could be installing a new DC, but the problem is I have to move the aplication and I have no idea how to do it. I cannot either use a local account as it is a DC and cannot create a local account, I have tried a new domain account but it doesn't work either.

I think I will try disk2vhd and see what happens.

Thank you a lot.

David.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

Normally the server should have the Local Admin account with which you can try to logon.

Does the application that is on the DC (although it's not a best practice to have any other software on the DC) have any database or why it's hard to be reinstalled?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

I am afraid there is no information about the application, so that is not a path I can explore.

As long as I know, a DC has no local accounts others that those in the domain. I tried moving it with disk2vhd and it worked, so the problem is solved.

Best regards.

David.

Monday, March 7, 2016 4:22 PM