none
Unable to add a network printer to Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition

Question

• I am unable to add any network printer to my server.  I have tried the a couple of ways.

When I click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"  Nothing happens.  

When I browse the network print server and right click on the printer I want and choose "Connect" nothing happens.

I am wondering if DataCenter Edition does not allow this or if I missed a server role or something when I installed it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 2:44 PM

All replies

• You may need to enable Network Discovery in Sharing Options

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 2:56 PM
  • The network printer can be seen and added by my Windows 10 laptop that is logged into the same domain.

Thanks

Brad

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:37 PM
  • I'd still check the settings.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:48 PM
  • I did check those settings on this server the options are turned On.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 7:34 PM
  • When I click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"  Nothing happens.  

I think something is broken in that dialog on Server 2016. You could also try from cmd.exe

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /il

Thursday, November 03, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 07, 2016 9:13 AM
  • I am having a similar issue. When I add a network printer, the printer does not show up in the list of printers, nor does it show up in Devices and Printers. If I click "Add Printer" a box will flash and go away immediately. If I click Add printer from the printers page (the new style menu) the printer will appear to add, showing installed successfully, and I can print a test print. Further, I tried using that printer in Word, and I could see it without issue.  However, the printer will not show up on the printer page, which is making my users believe that the printer isn't there.

I am hoping it's just a dialog box issue as described above. I can prep the users if we understand that this is the issue, but I am concerned that the printer will not survive reboots, for example.

Thoughts?

I'm werkin' on it...

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:43 PM
  • As always I'd start a new thread detailing your issues, possibly over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverprint

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:46 PM