why doesn't Sticky Notes in Windows 7 stay visable when Show Desktop is used? RRS feed

• Question

• why don't Sticky Notes in Windows 7 stay visable when Show Desktop is used? It would make sence to have Sticky Notes visible when Show Desktop is selected so that windows covering them will minimize or turn transparent and allow the Sticky Notes to be viewed. If Sticky Notes are suppose to be an electronic version of Post-It Notes, then they shouldn't disappear, they should be a part of the desktop like the gadgets are. Gadgets don't disappear.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes it appears that it will reside in the taskbar after opening another Window and pressing WinLogo key + D. Alt + tab will bring it back or a cursor hover and a shift key + left mouse click when the cursor is on the sticky icon in the taskbar.

Also, you are correct, there is no option like a Gadget to keep it visible.

Someone at MS decided it was better to move it to the task bar with no options. Perhaps to keep curious eyes from reading your stickys. I don't mind because I keep a clear desktop anyway. I use the task bar, start menu pinned and keyboard shortcuts.

The answer is that is how it was designed.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, September 10, 2010 8:04 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes it appears that it will reside in the taskbar after opening another Window and pressing WinLogo key + D. Alt + tab will bring it back or a cursor hover and a shift key + left mouse click when the cursor is on the sticky icon in the taskbar.

Also, you are correct, there is no option like a Gadget to keep it visible.

Someone at MS decided it was better to move it to the task bar with no options. Perhaps to keep curious eyes from reading your stickys. I don't mind because I keep a clear desktop anyway. I use the task bar, start menu pinned and keyboard shortcuts.

The answer is that is how it was designed.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, September 10, 2010 8:04 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:38 PM
  • I and some of my clients (I'm an IT support person) think that's stupid. If you are hovering your mouse over the Show Desktop bar in the right hand corner of the taskbar, how can you then move it to the Sticky Notes on the taskbar? It would seem like a good feature to hover your mouse over the Show Desktop bat in order to see the Stick Notes underneath.

I hope Microsoft reconsiders the design.

Monday, September 27, 2010 1:45 AM
  • A cursor hover over sticky notes and then move the cursor to the note shown in peek, gives the desktop view with the sticky. It's all an "Aero peek" though, no persistence.

Yes, the option to control the display behavior should be there. The real stickys on your monitor don't hide.

Monday, September 27, 2010 9:45 AM