none
Can not join DNS server to the Domain Controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to Microsoft and am preparing a LAB environment for AD, DNS, CA, and NPS servers to test wireless equipment etc.

I also want to take the opportunity to learn Microsoft and want to do a decent install.

I installed all servers via Hyper-V VMs and they installed correctly. I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard GUI for all. For the first server, I created a role for DNS which it completed correctly. I did not do anything else after that....I want to join this to a DC before moving forward.

On the second VM server, I configured it for the AD DS role which it completed successfully. I then promoted it to being a Domain Controller. It is a brand new forest....so no issues there. However, during the install time, it had a check for installing DNS server which I unchecked assuming that I have a separate DNS server to take care of that. So...the installation went ok without any problems. Now, my existing Administrator account on the AD is part of the domain with no problems.

My next plan was to join the DNS server to the DC and I went to where you change the computer name and clicked on join. When I select the option of joining the domain and enter the Domain and click ok...it asks for a username and password. I enter the Administrator and password like the following:

Username: Administrator

Password: <password. The same password created at first time boot of the server>

But I get the error "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

I dont understand why this is the case when I gives me a prompt for username and password and still gives the error message.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi

First check dns service healthy and runing on DC,you can check with "dcdiag /test:dns"...

Also check the ip configuration on client dns settings needs to be point DC's ip address and can be Access.

Run "ipconfig /all" on both DC and client.and check the ports are accessible.(with wireshark,portqui,etc.)

PortQryUI ; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24009

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:29 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi AmirAziz987,

>>But I get the error "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

You could use the netsh command to configure the DC's ip address as your dns server's preferred dns server.

Please take a loot at figure below:

Besides, as mentioned above, they were both on VMs, so I suggest you could first check the network connectivity between the DC and DNS servers.

Please selected the correct network configuration on Hyper-v configurations.

In addition, you could use the Wireshark tool to monitor the process:

For downloading, please navigate to link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi

First check dns service healthy and runing on DC,you can check with "dcdiag /test:dns"...

Also check the ip configuration on client dns settings needs to be point DC's ip address and can be Access.

Run "ipconfig /all" on both DC and client.and check the ports are accessible.(with wireshark,portqui,etc.)

PortQryUI ; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24009

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi AmirAziz987,

>>But I get the error "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

You could use the netsh command to configure the DC's ip address as your dns server's preferred dns server.

Please take a loot at figure below:

Besides, as mentioned above, they were both on VMs, so I suggest you could first check the network connectivity between the DC and DNS servers.

Please selected the correct network configuration on Hyper-v configurations.

In addition, you could use the Wireshark tool to monitor the process:

For downloading, please navigate to link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:23 AM